Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are these guys f'n nuts or what??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009 | 06:09 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Ya' know Gordon....I dunno how I missed the whole pump your tank out deal as I was spilling gas all over my leg, my garage and my motor last month!!!

Listen to Gordon Mr.Stone..He is the resident garage built "Brew Master"!!

Old 09-09-2009 | 06:18 PM
redbone62
Tourer

put it this way i put 18s on my bike took me 4 hrs cables wires in bars whole 9 and i was sick as a dog doing it split it in to two days 2 hr each looking for right tools cussing at people for not putting tools back hears where there mark up is ok ready if that break something they got to cover it some how i changed bars 4 times on my bike got real good at it 2 time i had probables with fuel quick disconnect ok first time dident know better my fault second time o ring inside got pinched well lets just say i got a new fuel pump now also because i couldn't find the o ring off the bat so ya there you go it happens

Old 09-09-2009 | 06:31 PM
6fthook
Advanced

I'm in the same boat as you buddy. Gonna be installing new handlebars in the very near future. I guess it's the kinda thing you just have to dive right into it and don't think before hand how many ways you could f*ck up the install. Did that with my pipes, air cleaner, and pcii install and it went good.

Old 09-09-2009 | 06:40 PM
redbone62
Tourer

ya know if you got any mechanical skills and some conman sense you can do it

Old 09-09-2009 | 06:45 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member

I agree do them youself... You'll be proud when you're riding around after you're done!
Not to mention you'll be able to help the next bunch of guys that wanna do a bar change.
Good luck and feel free to ask any and all questions...

Opps almost forgot... Their Nuts... lol

Old 09-09-2009 | 06:50 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member

Very simple to do. Only problem i had were the stock molex connecters..F'em!!! i cut them out and replaced with radio shack connecters and extended wires myself. Gas tank removal was a breeze. 3 sets of bars in a year....maybe 18" apes this comming winter/spring...

Are these guys f'n nuts or what??-my-bike-003.jpg

Old 09-09-2009 | 06:52 PM
refuzeandrezizt
Road Warrior

I agree with everyone else, do it yourself and spend that extra hard earned money on something else you want, or need. I have had four different sets of bars on mine, two of which I did the internal wiring on, the last ones, which you see in the sig pic, I had to change everything. Easy as cake my friend. Just be patient, and don't try to rush it, you will be happier in the end. Like stated before, feel free to ask ANY questions along the way. There usually will be someone on that will chime in on the quickness!!

GOOD LUCK!! Keep us posted too..............

Old 09-09-2009 | 07:02 PM
redbone62
Tourer

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Very simple to do. Only problem i had were the stock molex connecters..F'em!!! i cut them out and replaced with radio shack connecters and extended wires myself. Gas tank removal was a breeze. 3 sets of bars in a year....maybe 18" apes this comming winter/spring...

Attachment 67140
ha ha you sound like me im done this set stays for a while very comfortable

Old 09-09-2009 | 07:04 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

If you've got quick hands, you can get the tank off without draining it. Undo the fuel line, unbolt everything, undo one side of the crossover. Plug the crossover with one thumb, the tank with the other thumb, lift the tank over the backbone (a second set of hands is crucial), and re-attach the crossover.

Old 09-09-2009 | 08:29 PM
tripwire759
Road Warrior

Dude I'm doing that now. A buddy and pulled the speedo, tank, risers and bars in two hours. Went and had some tacos and beer and came back and got the wires extended and ran (which were a bitch!!), put on the risers and bars in about 6 hours total. I'm still waiting on my cables but even with bleeding the brake, pulling one of my pipes and reinstalling it should not take another 4 hours. My local indy and I were talking and as long as you don't have some crazy angled apes, it should not take that long.

Quick Reply: Are these guys f'n nuts or what??