Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Issues-Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:47 AM
richie t.
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Issues-Need Help

does any1 have a jackshaft assembled onto their starter? its recomended to me to have one installed. l do have a starter issue. the issue is she starts when she wants to and sometimes grinds. lm planning to have the unit changed out and have a jackshaft installed, too. any feedback would be much appreciated!
mahalo!

Old 09-08-2009, 12:25 PM
nahanhoku
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your starter already has a jackshaft.

Sounds like the starter is going bad or there is not enough power getting to the starter. The service manual details electrical checks you can perform to determine if it is the solenoid, starter clutch or other electrical/mechanical issues that are keeping your starter from engaging - electrical grounds, corroded battery cables/connections, broken teeth, etc.

In addition to electrical checks, you will need to pull the primary cover to determine if there are issues with the pinion gear on the starter jackshaft and check the engagement with the ring gear on the clutch basket. Sometimes the starter engagement will either shear the pinion gear or knock teeth out of the ring gear. Could be as easy as cleaning connections to the starter or it could be a $100-500 dollar fix depending on how much they soak you for island prices and shipping for new parts.

The service manual and parts manual for your bike are excellent resources to see how the starter is assembled and how to test it. Having these two manuals will save you from taking it in the okole by da kine dealers when you have issues with your ride.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:16 PM
FREEFALL
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had some serious grinding going on in my bike when starting.

Took it to the dealer and they found 3 teeth had been broke off.

They took real good care of me and got me back on the road in no time.

Recommend you pull the primary cover and check those gears out.

S/F

Freefall

Old 09-08-2009, 08:44 PM
richie t.
Advanced

Could be as easy as cleaning connections to the starter or it could be a $100-500 dollar fix depending on how much they soak you for island prices and shipping for new parts.

not to mention 2 maybe 3 guys w/ a shop here on kauai. was also recomended to me to change out the starter. maybe get a 2nd opinion. nobody wants to spend more $$$$ then one needs to. got a couple of friends that know ppl who work outta their homes w/ stuff loke this. *sigh* thanx guys!

ld like to know if there are more stories like mine out there.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:48 PM
richie t.
Advanced

trying to get the # of a friend of mine that has some HD TECH SAVY!!!! hope it pans!

Old 09-09-2009, 10:49 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Whats up Richie... So does it grind or wine... And what do mean when you say... It's starts when it wants... Does that mean sometimes when you hit the button you get nothing? And you gotta tap, tap, tap the button then the starter ingauges? Contacts and relay will do that sometimes... I had a friend with a fatboy and it would grind and wine sometimes but that was the starter after the starter change he's all good.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:11 PM
richie t.
Advanced

yeah it grinds. only sometimes. sometimes push the button and nada. you can here it click. but nothing. l checked the battery and its good! l think you may be right. boy does it suck! when l take her out, lm afraid to turn her off. l just keep riding till l reach home.
aloha, richie t.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:45 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Richie, It may be worth changing the starter relay it's only like 7 dollars under the seat. Do you hear like a light ting it's from the starter relay... Good luck Brah... hope it works out for you. Aloha

Old 09-10-2009, 05:16 PM
richie t.
Advanced

l appreciate all the input, gang!

Old 09-10-2009, 07:11 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

I checked the battery and it was 'good' too.

I checked the relay and it was good.

I used an induction amp meter and it showed 250 amps drawn by the starter. (It's supposed to be 150).

A buddy of mine told me that he heard that you should change your battery every three years just as a matter of principal. He also said that a weak battery will eventually ruin the starter.

I replaced the battery instead of listening to what was published in the shop manual. All of my problems went away but I got to my starter earlier in the problem than you have.

To put a jack shaft on your starter and/or to have your starter rebuilt is quite a job. You have to pull the oil tank and the primary.

If you do that, fix the whole thing instead of just doing the jack shaft. You might buy a new starter but if you know a really good starter repair shop you will save some bucks by having it rebuilt, or by rebuilding it yourself (which is shown in the shop manual). You can pull the starter and have a growl test run on it and then decide where to go from there.

C#

Quick Reply: Starter Issues-Need Help