Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You think your horn is loud, don't you? Hear me roar!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:12 PM
hogdiver96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 128auto
What American thing are you talking about bud? I don't get it LOL
I didn't know ppl use cowbell instead of horn in England, just kiddn'
Come on! it's a free country! I don't care what ppl think.
What i meant was that there are quite a few threads on here about louder horns but i dont know why ????

its illegal to sound em anyway (unless needed in emergency) and on a bike im usually too busy trying not to get knoced off (or staring at my reflection in big shop windows) too worry about pressing horns..........now if you could get a bike horn that played Dixie or something............

and my stock horn is super loud

Old 09-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Reino_79
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dixie? Check JC Whitney.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:44 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Lmfao :d
Originally Posted by reino_79
dixie? Check jc whitney.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:54 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Mine does not play Dixie but it does play "or something"

imo - ya cant ever be to noticeable. Whether its horns, lights, riding to make yourself seen, not being in a blind spot...

Old 09-08-2009, 08:56 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

of course, it will never save your life if cagers don't play attention

Old 09-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Nautilus
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I installed a pair of air horns on my fatty and boy do they sound! apart from putting in more chrome in the much dull left side ofthe bike they scare cagers when necessary. I remember one day riding when I cager was drifting towards me, I honked and I could see the driver jump inside the car and pulled a bit too hard right almost hitting the sidewalk instead of me!
They're a beauty and a must

Old 09-09-2009, 07:53 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hogdiver96
What i meant was that there are quite a few threads on here about louder horns but i dont know why ????

its illegal to sound em anyway (unless needed in emergency) and on a bike im usually too busy trying not to get knoced off (or staring at my reflection in big shop windows) too worry about pressing horns..........now if you could get a bike horn that played Dixie or something............

and my stock horn is super loud
Mostly because the stock horns really aren't loud enough. Don't know if it's an industry thing or if the MoCo is just hoping we'll upgrade to one of their addon horns $$$.

I think as bikers we don't use our horns enough. Maybe because so many in the US only use their horns after the fact to ream someones *** instead of as a warning.

I've started using mine alot more regardless of whether the left turning cager or whatever already saw me or he thinks I'm "yelling" at him.

128Auto posted an inexpensive solution to get more attention out of the meep-meep horns we have. One concern I'd have about the location would be water getting into the horn. I've had that happen once even with the stock bell and can only think the problem would be worse with it slung low on the frame.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:48 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

Same here, that's what I worry about. I have gone through the whole bike, the only place available is the swing arm area, unless I want to put the horn on the outside but I don't like the look. When I installed the horn, I try to bend the bracket a bit on an angle to avoid water getting into the horn, that's all I can do. I am glad that my PCIII fits right under the seat, imagine putting it under the frame, moisture is gonna screw it up one day, heard too many stories. I had a few times honking at cagers and they didn't hear me, a second horn is definitely a must, have you ever run into dangerous situation and found the horn didn't work? I did and it is scary.

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
One concern I'd have about the location would be water getting into the horn. I've had that happen once even with the stock bell and can only think the problem would be worse with it slung low on the frame.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:43 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 128auto
have you ever run into dangerous situation and found the horn didn't work? I did and it is scary.
Yes, that's how I knew I had water in mine. Traced it back to a road trip where I had to ford a couple "small streams" during a week long rain. Least that's my theory of how the water got in. For all I know maybe it was just from all the rain coming up from the road. Took the horn off and dried it out and it worked fine.

Does your stock horn work in conjunction with the Fiamm or did you disconnect it? That way even if the Fiamm got waterlogged you'd still have at least one horn working till you got the Fiamm dried out.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:52 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

Yes, I use both horns, different circuit though, I run a separate relay for the second horn.

Quick Reply: You think your horn is loud, don't you? Hear me roar!