Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high speed wobble "HOSPITAL WOBBLE"

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:33 PM
phatsanders
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high speed wobble "HOSPITAL WOBBLE"

ok so what cause the dreaded HOSPITAL WOBBLE at speeds around 90or higher.had a 96 fxstc that would do it in just a slight curve at about 80 -90.last road king never did it. the 99 phatboy i have now will only do it in moderate to sharp curves at high speed.......other than tellin me to slow down or i will throw you off of me dumbass.why does it happen.

Attached Thumbnails high speed wobble "HOSPITAL WOBBLE"-pict0056.jpg  
Old 09-02-2009, 09:41 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it lowered jus in the rear?................do the fall away check.................could be number of things......new tire?

Old 09-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by phatsanders
ok so what cause the dreaded HOSPITAL WOBBLE at speeds around 90or higher.had a 96 fxstc that would do it in just a slight curve at about 80 -90.last road king never did it. the 99 phatboy i have now will only do it in moderate to sharp curves at high speed.......other than tellin me to slow down or i will throw you off of me dumbass.why does it happen.

Check tire pressure... avoid the obvious...

I had it happen on a rice burner while I was well over 100 mph. It was so violent that the bars were smacking my tank... I came out of it...

I think it was not my time that day, cause the highway was packed, and a group of us were splitting lanes...

Never been so scared on a bike before and I used to race rice rockets...

Old 09-02-2009, 09:48 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Steering head bearing tightness, fall away, tire pressure. It seems like most has been covered here. What brand of tires do you run, and are they stock sizes? What pressure do you run in them? Think about steering head bearing tightness.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:58 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

i had it happen to me the other nite . i run 58mm forks that are adjustable and stock tirers.
i was gettimg into it with a friend who has a new r1 on the parkway mine happened about 130-135 shook bad scared the crap ouyt of me this time..
i am going to avons and a stabalizer over the winter. see if that fixes it m all my stuff checks out fallaway , tightness , and tirers.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Havent had the joy of a good tank slapper on my Train yet but....

At a 110 I swear my bike feels like its about to lift off the road and take flight....

Seriously I cant hold it wide open for more than a hot minute as its spooky as heck..... Maybe its a combination of my solo saddlebag , crazy big Rinehart pipe and my tool bag mounted down by the Voltage Regulator creating an odd flying Night Train phenomenon? Like if I pushed for a buck twenty I may just take flight!!

Old 09-03-2009, 06:25 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

I have a Fork Brace on my Train; prior to installing it I did a little test. I thought the idea of a brace for my forks was just a way for Harley to get some more $ out of me, so prior to buy it I took of my front fender and just from losing that little bit of support there was a noticable difference in stability at high speeds. I tend to ride real FAST so the extra support did help.

Chaz, the trick to getting your Train off the ground is to crank up some Steppenwolf "Magic Carpet Ride" on your Ipod...works for me every time!

Last edited by aviscomi; 09-03-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:39 AM
phatsanders
5th Gear

had metzs front and rear with good pressure and great tread.have 18"avons now, i have not rode hard yet. i have been very busy here lately. when i put my chrome lower legs on i will check neck and trip tree..... fall away....? balance lt. 2 rt.?

Old 09-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aviscomi
I have a Fork Brace on my Train; prior to installing it I did a little test. I thought the idea of a brace for my forks was just a way for Harley to get some more $ out of me, so prior to buy it I took of my front fender and just from losing that little bit of support there was a noticable difference in stability at high speeds. I tend to ride real FAST so the extra support did help.

Chaz, the trick to getting your Train off the ground is to crank up some Steppwolf "Magic Carpet Ride" on your Ipod...works for me every time!

Damn....You know I have a problem with getting songs stuck in my head for days on end!!!

Arrrggghhhh......

I like to dream yes, yes, right between my sound machine
On a cloud of sound I drift in the night
Any place it goes is right
Goes far, flies near, to the stars away from here

Old 09-03-2009, 06:52 AM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

aerodynamics can also contribute to high speed wobbles.

Quick Reply: high speed wobble "HOSPITAL WOBBLE"