Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey, I attemped to buy a new Softtail Deluxe but dealer is an idiot

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SUUIE
The driver's license deal is a ploy to keep you there. You're not going to walk out when they've still got your license.
Used car lots will sometimes "misplace" your keys when appraising your trade-in for the same reason. Always give them a spare and keep your main keyring in your pocket.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Plasteredcat
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main problem is they have to much of the market... were else can you go and find the building set up with a sales floor and parts floor and service department... not to many other OEMs are set up like HD dealers... they own the market... play the game shop around and you may find a better deal out of state

Old 09-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the old saying he who talks first always loses.... Nothing is more true than in sales...hmmm

Old 09-02-2009, 04:54 PM
chad_clearwater
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharknose
Used car lots will sometimes "misplace" your keys when appraising your trade-in for the same reason. Always give them a spare and keep your main keyring in your pocket.
I had a new car deal going a few years ago and they played that game with my CC until I asked the douche to please look at my app and see where I worked...at the time I worked for the TX Attorney General...my card appeared real quick. Made them nervous as heck that I could actually read the credit reports they'd run.

Locally, we must be fortunate: My closest dealer, 8 miles from the house and 1 mile from the office, is OTD pricing on all bikes. You can still "deal" a bit. The next closest dealer, about 5-4 miles farther down the road posts most prices and will deal.

Oh yeah, both places will "loan" you a helmet for a test ride!

I'm not quite ready to buy, yet, but soon. As long as I get that warm and fuzzy feeling it'll be one of these two dealers...if not, there are plenty of dealerships with 60-90 miles of the house.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Big Rich 01
Intermediate

I tried to buy a used bike at a dealer. Oh look at these brand new left overs. Thats not what Im looking for. see ya . bought private saved a ton of money and headaches.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:44 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scooter_092196
I woulda taken the new bike back to that dealership that gave you the runaround and told the salesman to come outside and look at what he missed out on...What idiots.
I did that when I built my house.
We had past credit problems, went bankrupt, we both lost good paying jobs at the same time and daughter was just born.
Went to local bank in my small town, it was a major bank though.
The president was a local citizen and my wifes family had always banked there.
I told him what I wanted to borow and he asked the usual questions.
I told him right up front about being bankrupt but was over 5 years ago.
He wouldnt even take an app from me, said that I wouldnt get financed anywhere.
Well I did, and built my house across the street from a piece of poperty he owned.
He was over there one day and kept looking at my house across the street so I mosey on over and say, "see what your bank could be making the interest off of?"
I will speak if I run into him but I would never do any kind of deal with him, nor did I bank with his bank either.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:09 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I guess the pain is spreading......Now even my sellers over in Texas are playing stupid.........I can't get them to quote a price on either the Softtail or the Iron. (same individuals I bought from via email in the past)

They too now respond with just, "Hey, glad to see a return customer!, Come see us and we can work up those figures for you."

Man. I ain't driving 500 miles to subject myself to their sales pitch and bait n switch bullshit.

Apparently they are hungry and resorting to theft mode like everyone else in this area.....****, I'll just keep my $$ wadded up in my pocket and watch the want ads for almost new scoots where the idiots paid 5K down and only want payoff....The dealers today seem to forget or ignore that the used market is flooded with almost new bikes only asking payoff.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Driften
Cruiser

When I bought my Deluxe I sent an email to the sales manager at dealer that I knew had the bike I wanted and told them that I wanted their best out the door price and if I got response I liked I would call them with a deposit. I got an email the next day with a price I liked

Old 09-02-2009, 11:14 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

buy a used bike from someone round here who "needs the $$"
good luck

Old 09-03-2009, 02:52 AM
Rocker_C
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sharknose

I had a new car dealer that would not give me my keys back one time. I had to threaten to call the cops, I wasn’t buying from them and wanted to leave. Do they really think someone will buy from them after that?

Quick Reply: Hey, I attemped to buy a new Softtail Deluxe but dealer is an idiot