Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey, I attemped to buy a new Softtail Deluxe but dealer is an idiot

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:20 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac
First mistake was going upstairs so he could control you and the situation. They're just like car salesman and dogs, you need to be firm and make sure they know you're in charge, not them.

Thats funny.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Scooter_092196
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I woulda taken the new bike back to that dealership that gave you the runaround and told the salesman to come outside and look at what he missed out on...What idiots.

Originally Posted by JasonJ
I was in a situation that when the 2010's were announced I was ready to buy. I checked a few dealerships but this story revolves around two.

I called the first dealership and I told them what I wanted in model, color and options. As soon as the 2010's were announced they called me back (within hours of the 2010's being announced) and gave me a price "out the door" in writing via e-mail.

The other dealership... my local dealership would not give me a price, and I quote this direct from the sale person, "until I came in to prove I was serious.". It was a local dealership and I thought I would give them a chance but when I did come in and talked to the sales person I got the sales person bullchit and I was asked the "How much do you want to pay?". So I told him, "$5 bucks" and followed with "Hey, you asked me a stupid question so I gave you a stupid answer. Now I came in like you asked, give me your out the door price.". This cr@p went on for a few minutes until I left but needless to say ...

I bought my bike from the first dealership... from Mother Road Harley-Davidson in Kingman, AZ. and I am glad that I did. Their attitude and appreciation towards the customer started when I called and still continues in the post sales.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:06 AM
RoadKingLou
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They never fail to amze me. You asked a simple question that required a simple answer. What were you thinking. LOL

Old 09-02-2009, 09:09 AM
FunkyNova66
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ghost Town Harley in Waynesville NC were completely straight with me. Nothing but a good experience from those guys.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:09 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I walked into Allen, TX Harley with $25K in my pocket once. I could not get them to sell me a Softail Herritage. They wouldnt listen. Tried to get me to buy a Road King with all the bells and whistles. By the time I was finished with that dealer I needed to take a shower. I bought an Indian Chief down the street. That was in 2000.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:51 AM
harleyman1340
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar experience with my local dealer, I'm no stranger to Harley's, I just haven't bought many new bikes, but decided to buy an ultra and couldn't find a deal on a used bike in this economy so I decided to buy a new 09 for a little more money. I had picked out my color and options and dropped by my local dealer to see what they had in stock, they had a bike with my color and options in stock so I asked the saleman "about" what they wanted for the bike OTD, he did everything but answer my question, he dismissed me by telling next time I was coming in to bring my helmet and we would take one for a test ride. I wasn't pissed by my treatment because I knew how they were, I just felt so stupid that I even walked in there thinking about buying a bike. The next week I stopped by another dealer and they had my color and options in stock, I asked the salesman what they wanted OTD, he got the typical info ffrom me and came back a couple minutes later with a fair price, it was still more than I was willing to pay and he asked me what I was willing to pay and I told him, he goes off and come back 5 minutes later and takes my offer, the whole process took less than 30 minutes from the time I walked in the doors of the dealership. Bottom line, try shopping other dealers till you find one that will treat you right.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Don't get me started on dealers and their games.

I had a car dealer once, who wouldn't give me a cash price on a new car. I kept asking him for a cash price and he kept giving me the run around. I finally said, "I am going to wite you a check, how much do you want?". His answer was, "It would be easier for us if you financed the car. It is too much trouble for us to deposite a check". WTF????

I was dumbfounded.......and walked off, never getting a cash (I'll write you a check) price. That's the only good thing about this **** poor economy. The dealers are in trouble...........and I couldn't be happier for them, the way they have treated us for years.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter_092196
I woulda taken the new bike back to that dealership that gave you the runaround and told the salesman to come outside and look at what he missed out on...What idiots.
My buddy's wife did just this. She stopped by a dealership after work one day looking to buy a bike for herself. She had her office (work) clothes on (Dress, shoes women wear). The salesman made a smartalic remark about how she was dressed and women riders in general. She got so pissed off, she went to another dealer in town, bought a bike and rode it back over to him and showed him he lost out on his commision.

Good for her.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:08 AM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would ya want a Deluxe.......O wait never mind heeheehee.......See sig.....

Sounds like a bunch of bull if ya ask me...Back in Feb 06 I called my dealer on a Monday asked if he had a Black Deluxe,he said yep in a creat and I said I'll be there Tues afternoon to pick it up and thats how it went,Ive delt with this same dealer since 1983 so he knew how to deal with me......

Old 09-02-2009, 11:30 AM
SUUIE
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The driver's license deal is a ploy to keep you there. You're not going to walk out when they've still got your license.

After the dealer run around in SoCal, I ended up buying used off of Craigslist. I remember e-mailing one local dealer that I was e-mailing back and forth with "pick up a newspaper, we're in a recession".

Last edited by SUUIE; 09-02-2009 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Hey, I attemped to buy a new Softtail Deluxe but dealer is an idiot