Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any oil/filter advice please

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 05:32 PM
cammy5477
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any oil/filter advice please

i am going to change out the engine oil on my xbones to amsoil 20w50 synthetic and have a few questions about it...... i thought i would just change it all out at the same time.... so engine oil/transmission oil/primary oil plus a filter...... can i use amesoil for all or would i be better to use something else in the primary/tranny and what is the best filter to use harley? or something else

can somebody tell me also how much oil each part will need so i can buy the correct amount cause amsoil aint cheap in the uk.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:35 PM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will be very happy with the Amsoil. You can run it in all three, but you may want to research synthetic gear oils for the tranny. Unfortunately, you have opened a can of worms here as you will soon see

Old 09-01-2009, 07:06 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I run Mobil vtwin 20-50 syn in mine. Spectro 75-140 6 speed syn in tranny, and HD Formula + in the primary.

2.5 wet fill engine
1qt wet fill primary
1qt wet fill tranny

I'm currently using k&n oil filters but when my case is empty I'm switching back to HD. The HDs filter to 5 microns and I haven't found any evidence that k&ns do a better job.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:47 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

All AMSOIL HERE!!! 20-50 motor, 10-40 primary and 75-90 gear lube, for tranny. Always use the K+N OIL FILTERS, LOVE THE WELDED ON NUT.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:37 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by dfredb
You will be very happy with the Amsoil. You can run it in all three, but you may want to research synthetic gear oils for the tranny. Unfortunately, you have opened a can of worms here as you will soon see
LOL...here we go again!
Redline all 3 holes

Old 09-02-2009, 07:02 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use Bel Ray for the trans and no wine or clank and I can find neutral. I use Motor Factory® Primary Case Lube in the primary. because Amsoil has gone up so much I just switched to Mobil 1 for vtwin and it works as good. I have 39,000 miles in about 2 years and it runs great and no debris in the oil changes.
http://www.belray.com/consumer/product.fsp?pid=13637
http://www.customchrome.com/dcm/cc/view.asp?mfoil.html

Old 09-02-2009, 10:14 AM
cammy5477
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
I run Mobil vtwin 20-50 syn in mine. Spectro 75-140 6 speed syn in tranny, and HD Formula + in the primary.

2.5 wet fill engine
1qt wet fill primary
1qt wet fill tranny

I'm currently using k&n oil filters but when my case is empty I'm switching back to HD. The HDs filter to 5 microns and I haven't found any evidence that k&ns do a better job.
sorry to be retarded but are your measurements from empty?
so once drained i will need stated amounts to get back my fluid levels?

what about oil pressure....if i drain all my fluids at once and then refill how do i get back the oil pressure with out doing damage

Old 09-02-2009, 01:24 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cammy5477
sorry to be retarded but are your measurements from empty?
so once drained i will need stated amounts to get back my fluid levels?

what about oil pressure....if i drain all my fluids at once and then refill how do i get back the oil pressure with out doing damage
Those measurements are from the 08 Softail Service Manual and yes they're called wet fill specs as opposed to dry such as when the engine is disassembled. Reason being there's a residual amount of fluid left in when you drain it during normal changes.

To help with getting the engine oil pressure back up quickly I partially fill the new filter before putting it on.

You're probably going to need new o-rings for the drain plugs and a gasket for the derby cover (primary). Drain plug for oil is in frame rail directly under oil fill.(do not remove casing plug under the front of the engine) Tranny is between shocks, primary directly under derby cover. All are 5/8 here in the US.

Derby cover requires t-27 torx. Make sure it's seated all the way in the head as they're easy to strip.

If you need torque specs, let me know.

Last edited by jimmers1817; 09-02-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:31 PM
cammy5477
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Those measurements are from the 08 Softail Service Manual and yes they're called wet fill specs as opposed to dry such as when the engine is disassembled. Reason being there's a residual amount of fluid left in when you drain it during normal changes.

To help with getting the engine oil pressure back up quickly I partially fill the new filter before putting it on.

You're probably going to need new o-rings for the drain plugs and a gasket for the derby cover (primary). Drain plug for oil is in frame rail directly under oil fill.(do not remove casing plug under the front of the engine) Tranny is between shocks, primary directly under derby cover. All are 5/8 here in the US.

Derby cover requires t-27 torx. Make sure it's seated all the way in the head as they're easy to strip.

If you need torque specs, let me know.
great info jimmers thanks man

ohh.... do i need a special release tool for the stock harley filter? im going with k&n for the new one just cause i could get one easy and k&n is good gear

Old 09-02-2009, 03:07 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cammy5477
great info jimmers thanks man

ohh.... do i need a special release tool for the stock harley filter? im going with k&n for the new one just cause i could get one easy and k&n is good gear
Just need an oil filter wrench that fits over the end of the filter or a strap type wrench.

Be real careful you don't overtighten the plugs but especially the derby cover screws. Too tight and you might snap them off next time you try to take them out. If you don't have a torque wrench I'd just snug things down and check for leaks.

If you do these are the specs

Drain plugs: 14-21 FT lbs
Derby cover: 84-108 IN. lbs

Quick Reply: any oil/filter advice please