Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Front Tire - Anyone know?...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:58 AM
John Bernard
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail Front Tire - Anyone know?...

I am thinking of going with a slightly wider tire on the front of my 2007 Softail Standard. Anyone know how wide of a tire I can go without changing the factory wheel? Anyone know if I change the wheel, what is the widest wheel I can go with?

Keep in mind that I do not want to make any changes to my front forks.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:00 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Look at tire manufacturer's recommendations and stick with them.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:51 PM
John Bernard
Cruiser

I don't think you understood my question. I don't plan to go against either Harley's or the tire manufacturer's recommendations, but I do not know where to find them. I just got the bike last week, and as of yet do not have an owner's manual. Would you possibly have a link where I can find these recommendations? I couldn't find them on Harley's website.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:07 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Go to the metzler tire web site they have =1 and up upgrades, tells you the rim with ect

I think it is www.us.metzelermoto.com

Last edited by XARAN; 08-30-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:42 PM
John Bernard
Cruiser

Thanks Xaran, that was helpful. Now I know that I should not go with a tire that is any wider than the one my bike came with, if I keep the existing wheels. And now that I know that, where can I find out what is the widest wheel that I can fit between my existing stock forks, that will not exceed Harley's recommendations?

It is not that I want to go super wide like a Fatboy front tire, but I personally like the feel of a slightly wider tire up front. It just seems to me that it gives a little better ride, and that the front end is a bit more stable. Someone at the Harley dealership told me that is the reason why the Springer SE went to the wider front tire in 09.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:28 PM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a thread about guys going to 120/70/21 a while ago search that and you will find it.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Archer1968
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you thought of a Fork Brace? I put one on my 07 FXST, and it made all the difference in the world. Stiffened the whole front end right up.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:30 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by John Bernard
Thanks Xaran, that was helpful. Now I know that I should not go with a tire that is any wider than the one my bike came with, if I keep the existing wheels. And now that I know that, where can I find out what is the widest wheel that I can fit between my existing stock forks, that will not exceed Harley's recommendations?

It is not that I want to go super wide like a Fatboy front tire, but I personally like the feel of a slightly wider tire up front. It just seems to me that it gives a little better ride, and that the front end is a bit more stable. Someone at the Harley dealership told me that is the reason why the Springer SE went to the wider front tire in 09.
Again, look at the tire manufacturer's websites, but I believe a 3.5" wheel is about as big as you can go. It looks fantastic.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:03 PM
John Bernard
Cruiser

Okay, I'll check into those options. Thanks for responding guys!

Old 08-30-2009, 08:56 PM
WVNightrain Rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never liked the look of my 21/90 pizza cutter so I went with the 120/70/21 and a 3.5" rim.
Still not completely happy so this winter I am going to try to find a way to get rid of the lift kit look in the front, maybe a different front end all together.

Quick Reply: Softail Front Tire - Anyone know?...