Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Front Tire - Anyone know?...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:10 AM
John Bernard
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WVNightrain Rider
I never liked the look of my 21/90 pizza cutter so I went with the 120/70/21 and a 3.5" rim.
Still not completely happy so this winter I am going to try to find a way to get rid of the lift kit look in the front, maybe a different front end all together.
You say you're still not completely happy... is it because you don't like the look or you don't like the ride? I am fine with the look of the skinnier tire upfront, but the front end seems to be a little light and jumpy for me compared to a Fatboy that I have rode several times. I am hoping to improve that ride a little... will the wheel and tire you mentioned do that? And my last question is, did you have to change to a wider fender when you went with the wider tire and wheel?

I am going to get a set of Reaper wheels anyway this winter, so I want to make sure that I put a wheel and tire on that might feel a bit better to me.

Oh yeah, any pics of your bike with the wider front tire?...

Last edited by John Bernard; 08-31-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:32 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Put bluntly, the FX front end sucks. To really get it working better, look at a set of Ricor Intiminators and a good fork brace. The larger tire and wheel will help dramatically.

I'm very happy with the inverted forks I have, but I think I still need to add a brace.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:59 AM
John Bernard
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rthomp159
Put bluntly, the FX front end sucks. To really get it working better, look at a set of Ricor Intiminators and a good fork brace. The larger tire and wheel will help dramatically.

I'm very happy with the inverted forks I have, but I think I still need to add a brace.
Thanks, I called Ricor up and after speaking to them it sounds like something that will definitely help. However, they did recommend to NOT use a fork brace with their Intiminators. They said the brace will actually work against their product's function, and make the ride too stiff.

As for the wider wheel and tire, are you running them on your Night Train? If so, did you have to go with a wider fender? I'm debating over trying the 120/70/21 sized tire on my stock rim (if that is even recommended), or getting a larger Reaper wheel and then going with a wider tire.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:13 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm running a 120/70VR21 Metzeler ME880 on a 21x3.5" wheel. I'm running a larger Klock Werks fender. I would strongly advise not trying to mount a 120 tire on the stock width wheel. You'll end up bowing the sidewalls out which will seriously compromise handling.

Interesting that Ricor isn't recommending a fork brace. That combination is money on a Sportster.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:08 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

here is a web site that gives you the original size and other good info

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...ilStandard.htm

Old 08-31-2009, 03:54 PM
John Bernard
Cruiser

I'm running a 120/70VR21 Metzeler ME880 on a 21x3.5" wheel. I'm running a larger Klock Werks fender. I would strongly advise not trying to mount a 120 tire on the stock width wheel. You'll end up bowing the sidewalls out which will seriously compromise handling.

Interesting that Ricor isn't recommending a fork brace. That combination is money on a Sportster.
Thanks, I will not upgrade tire width unless I go with a 3.5" wide wheel. Also sounds like a lot of guys on here like the 120/70VR21 Metzeler ME880 on their softails.

Thanks for the link TK. That is a good page to bookmark.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:05 AM
John Bernard
Cruiser

I'm running a 120/70VR21 Metzeler ME880 on a 21x3.5" wheel. I'm running a larger Klock Werks fender.
Did you change the fender specifically because the original one didn't work with the new wider wheel and tire, or did you change it for cosmetic reasons? Also, do you have any photos of your bike posted anywhere that show it from the front, so I can see how much wider the new tire and wheel actually look?

Last question is, I have read elsewhere on this forum that a lot of guys feel that the handling of the bike can be improved by decreasing the rake of the front end. They do this by getting it lower as a result of going with a shorter wheel to match the height of the rear wheel. Do you agree with this?

Old 09-02-2009, 08:27 AM
WVNightrain Rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 120 does handle a lot better but not as well has a Fatboy. I am currently using my orginial fender that DOES fit but only with 1/4" clearance.
I think this winter I may change the entire front over to a Fatboy just to get the look I want.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:16 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

I wanted a fender that snugged up to the tire better than the stock one, and I didn't think the stock one would work with the larger wheel/tire. Regardless, I thought it would look silly even if it did work. In hindsight, I do kinda wish I'd gone with a 19" wheel/tire in order to get the bike lower without sacrificing suspension travel. Who knows, I've got a spare rear wheel, I might just sell the set and pony up for a new fender.

Then again, I like the look of the 21 up there, so who knows......

Originally Posted by John Bernard
Did you change the fender specifically because the original one didn't work with the new wider wheel and tire, or did you change it for cosmetic reasons? Also, do you have any photos of your bike posted anywhere that show it from the front, so I can see how much wider the new tire and wheel actually look?

Last question is, I have read elsewhere on this forum that a lot of guys feel that the handling of the bike can be improved by decreasing the rake of the front end. They do this by getting it lower as a result of going with a shorter wheel to match the height of the rear wheel. Do you agree with this?

Old 09-02-2009, 09:18 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i am going to try a little larger the next time as the 120 wears too fast in a 17 in

Last edited by tk353; 09-02-2009 at 09:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Softail Front Tire - Anyone know?...