Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal Wiring Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009 | 09:59 AM
entourage
|
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal Wiring Handlebars

alright, i know there's a bunch of threads on this, but they are very sporadic. i'm installing carlini t bars on my rocker (9 inch). have tank off and all the wiring disconnected, but i can't get them ran through the bars. can you guys share what has worked/not worked as far as getting wires pulled through your bars? any brainstorming ideas would be appreciated. this has already turned into a three night project!

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2009 | 10:10 AM
Reino_79
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I havent done this yet but try a coat hanger with string to pull them through. If that doesnt work maybe just try and feed a string through and tie the string to the wires and pull them on through.

Old 08-28-2009 | 10:12 AM
Buellrunner
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I put my WO508 chubbys on last month, we just pushed the wires through and grabbed them when they came close enough to the opening....

Have you considered zip typing them together to cause additional rigidity and then pushing them through?

Also, make sure your wires are long enough - I wasnt happy with the strech and decided to extend each individual electrical wire Took some time, but with a little patience came out great!

Cheers!

Old 08-28-2009 | 10:25 AM
entourage
|
Intermediate

thanks for the replies guys. from everything i've read on this site the standard wires are long enough for the 9 inch bars.

what i've tryed so far is pulling a fairly flexable wire through and rapping it around the wires to get it through. when it gets to the "t" i think it's getting caught and the wire i have rapped around pulls off (i was pulling HARD with frustration).

i've read baby powder may help?

has anyone tried pulling the wire housing hose off and doing it individually?

Old 08-28-2009 | 02:46 PM
BigMike17
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Try a heavy duty string with a bolt on the end to give it some weight. Send the string through, can use a vacuums suction to pull it through. Then, you can tape the wires, securely, to the other end and get 'em pulled. Good luck -

Old 08-28-2009 | 04:42 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

tied a shoe string to the wires and used a vacuum to pull the string through. Once i had ahold of the shoe string i pulled and what do ya know, wires!

Old 08-28-2009 | 06:04 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by entourage

has anyone tried pulling the wire housing hose off and doing it individually?
Like you, I used a long piece of 18g stranded wire wrapped around the end of the wiring harness and pulled the harness through the bars. However, I also wrapped black electrical tape around the lead wire and the harness to give the wrap more strength. However, I can see if you need to take a sharp turn the lead wire may pull a part from the wire harness.

When you say “housing hose”, do you mean the existing stock conduit used to cover the individual wires? If yes, I guess it would be ok to run them one at a time. Just be sure that once you get all the wires through that you use conduit or shrink wrap tubing over the wires where they enter and exit the bars. And of course use shrink wrap tubing where you have spliced wires.

Old 08-28-2009 | 07:45 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had to pull the coating off and do mine 2 at a time used masonery string make it long enough to get them all thru with one peice also rap tape around them after you tie string on them I used dishwashing soap they slid rite thru,after I got them thru put a peice of heat shrink where they go into and out of bars

Old 08-28-2009 | 08:17 PM
Soul_Cal
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by entourage
alright, i know there's a bunch of threads on this, but they are very sporadic. i'm installing carlini t bars on my rocker (9 inch). have tank off and all the wiring disconnected, but i can't get them ran through the bars. can you guys share what has worked/not worked as far as getting wires pulled through your bars? any brainstorming ideas would be appreciated. this has already turned into a three night project!

Thanks!
I used a shoe string (tied and taped with electrical tape) and sprayed a lot of Silcone Lubricant. Push the wires from one-side and pull from the other side using the shoe string.

When you get to the T section, the wires will start to bundle up. You need to pull it back (reverse) then push the wires and pull with the string again. The back and forth action will get you through the T section. You will need to pull it back and forth several times in small increments. Constantly add silicone lubricant and be patient. The key is going back and forth in small increments to avoid the bundling of the wires at the T section. You can do it!

If you want to have some real fun, try internal wiring a set of Kodlin Apes ....

Old 08-29-2009 | 01:40 AM
grumpez
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BigMike17
Try a heavy duty string with a bolt on the end to give it some weight. Send the string through, can use a vacuums suction to pull it through. Then, you can tape the wires, securely, to the other end and get 'em pulled. Good luck -
This is what I did when I installed my bars, worked great.

Quick Reply: Internal Wiring Handlebars