Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV and ThunderMax Autotune comparisons...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 02:03 PM
mpmillion
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV and ThunderMax Autotune comparisons...

Lookin at FuelMoto and saw the new PCV. Putting it up against the ThunderMax with autotune and am just wondering how it really does compare to it. Has anyone used both and if so which did you like better? I know many people here swear by ThunderMax w/autotune and am wanting some opinions on the PCV autotune feature. I got rid of my PCIII after so much drama with it and just went back to my stock A/C with the slip-ons. Its an 08 Custom and just want the best efi management system for my bike.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:13 PM
RedBen
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess another question to ask is whether you'd have the same issues with a PCV that you had with the PCIII or if the Autotune module would fix whatever problem you had when combined with the PCV.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:26 PM
CSRflstc
Tourer

What sort of problems did you have with the PCIII? I was going to put mine on tomorrow with my Kury air filter. I went with the PCIII because they are really reasonable now that the PCV and ThunderMax are on the market.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:36 PM
mpmillion
Tourer
Default PCIII bad luck for me

Got the canned map that came with it and it seemed to run great for a little while. Then is just shat out on me....called up the folks at powercommander.com and they replaced quickly and free of charge. Same canned map but this time it was runnin a little funny...still a little too lean. After looking at it and playing with it extensivly I had a friend of mine take a gander at it. He uses the same PCIII on his bike and was "taught" how to adjust it properly from a dyno tuner in South Carolina. His bike runs superb and he tuned it himself. Anyway.....we could not get the correct tune to stay in or maybe it just would not override the ECM....not sure exactly how it works. I kept losing my "fill" or map whatever you call it. I would hook it up to my laptop still on the bike and the map would be gone....really confusing and it baffled Jeff (my bud). So....I just took it off....replaced the stock A/C and put lollipops in my headers to reduce the decel popping (which worked great!!). Called power commander again and they said I'm just unlucky or something to that effect...
But...I've been told that FuelMoto has better customer service so I might give them a try...hopefully something happens.
I'm not saying the PCIII is bad....just that I have had bad luck with it. I know plenty of others that are runnin it with no prob...
Hopefully the autotune does not do the same thing.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:05 PM
aqua754
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The Thundermax will be a much easier install on a Softail. I love mine!

Old 08-24-2009, 09:13 PM
GunmetalBlueNT
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mpmillion
Lookin at FuelMoto and saw the new PCV. Putting it up against the ThunderMax with autotune and am just wondering how it really does compare to it. Has anyone used both and if so which did you like better? I know many people here swear by ThunderMax w/autotune and am wanting some opinions on the PCV autotune feature. I got rid of my PCIII after so much drama with it and just went back to my stock A/C with the slip-ons. Its an 08 Custom and just want the best efi management system for my bike.
The PCV is an unimpressive piggyback fuel adder, even the "add on" auto tune feature leaves alot to be desired with only basic A/F "on the fly" adjustments. I would always take a stand alone self tuning ECM over it any day of the week, regardless if your just doing AC and pipes or something more extensive. THat being said you should also look at the TFCI III from Daytona Twin tec. It was the first auto tuning unit to the market, and is actually a more refined stand alone compared to the Thundermax.

Last edited by GunmetalBlueNT; 08-24-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:27 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

lets get one thing streight about the dtt and tfci the learning cuve on those products is very steep and the installer and or owner of the bike has to do a lot of trial and error. now i do know they work but they are far from plug and play. what might be good for ann experienced person like you will not be good for some one who wants a plug and play system i have ran pretty much everyhting out there and the sert i prefer but that is me the t-max and pc are way better as far as plug and play goes ans most in experienced dyno guys either know the power commander or the t-max we can help the people out.
also it has been brought to the mods attention that you have been banned several times before on this forum why do you keep coming back under diffrent screen names......

Old 08-24-2009, 09:43 PM
mpmillion
Tourer
Talking whoa....

Ok....sorry bout this thread....I really did not mean to bring up any strife or anything else.
Let me clear the air a little bit. I'm definitely not looking for plug and play. I put about 1900 miles on my bike along with my buddy Jeff trying to get the right ratio needed to run the bike...it took us awhile before we realized that it was not gonna work for us. So...just wonderin if the auto tune would end up doing the same thing or not....hope not otherwise I'll just get a SERT. I don't plan on ever getting rid of this bike (who ever really knows though!!) so not being able to switch it to another bike does not bother me. But...if I can do this cheaper than the dealer and it would be just as effective...well why not? I was just wonderin if I'd have the same problems with an auto tune and which of the auto tunes would be better....thas all folks!!
Seriously everyone...I've had alot of questions and gotten alot of good responses so thanks for the help.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:21 PM
RedBen
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your bike have a closed loop EFI system? That is, does it have O2 sensors in the exhaust pipes? If so, with the PCIII you need the O2 sensor eliminators from Power Commander. Otherwise, your bike will readjust itself to the stock A/F ratio.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:25 PM
GunmetalBlueNT
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SEDELUXE
lets get one thing streight about the dtt and tfci the learning cuve on those products is very steep and the installer and or owner of the bike has to do a lot of trial and error. now i do know they work but they are far from plug and play. what might be good for ann experienced person like you will not be good for some one who wants a plug and play system i have ran pretty much everyhting out there and the sert i prefer but that is me the t-max and pc are way better as far as plug and play goes ans most in experienced dyno guys either know the power commander or the t-max we can help the people out.
also it has been brought to the mods attention that you have been banned several times before on this forum why do you keep coming back under diffrent screen names......
Um, you obviously have never used the TFCI III(And btw DTT is the mfg. for the TFCI, not a seperate product like your implying, great knowledge you have huh? ), and the misinformation your giving here is detrimental to others inquiring. Its plug and play. After the very basic install(swapping out the ecm and installing the 2 wideband sensors), you punch in the RPM limit, the injector size, the correct speedo frequency and your done. It does the rest. DOes this sound like a product with a "steep" learning curve? NO. Can you get into serious depth with the product concerning BLM tables etc? YES. But is it necessary. No, this isnt the original TFCI product, its had about 5-6 years of updates and refinements. SO, If you cant do those few basic things, then IMO you shouldnt be doing ANY mods to your bike and leave the wrenching to someone else.

SEDELUXE: Instead of whining like a little girl about me being "banned" along time ago, why don't you spend more time with your Ken and Barbie dolls and try growing a pair? Nobody cares in all honesty.

Quick Reply: PCV and ThunderMax Autotune comparisons...