Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Tire Mounting And Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 11:40 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

I bought a tire online, took the wheel off (while I was installing the Shotgun Shock system) and took it to the local dealer. They charged $30 or $35, if I recall correctly, to remove the old tire and install the new one.

None of the auto tire shops I called would do motorcycle tires - has to be a motorcycle shop. If we had a good indy in the area I'd have taken it there, but I don't know of any yet.

I've done lots of tires in the past, on my dirt bikes, but would rather have these street tires done for me so I don't screw up the rim or throw the back out trying to wrestle one on manually.

Roger

Old 11-24-2010, 05:08 PM
ardakota
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

The dealer here gets $148 to put on a tire on a softail plus the cost of the tire and if you want nitrogen its 32 bucks more.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:20 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

I used to change tires on laced wheels in the old days (triumphs, hondas, etc.) but the way that my rim on the front of my Night Train is made, I have pinched the tube every time. The inside of the rim is also so rusty that I am glad that I took the tire off myself, however, because I cleaned it up and painted it. The inside of the tube is real easy to rot. If you want to save some money but make the delicate part go better, get the tire off the rim, clean everything up, put a new tube and spoke band on the rim, put one side of the tire on, and take it to a shop. Have the guy with the tire machine install the other side plus balance it. $30 oughta do it... that's the least headache and the quickest option, plus when the shop sees that it's basically a wham bam thank you mam deal then they will usually interrupt what they are doing and mount the tire for you on the spot.

C#

Old 11-24-2010, 09:24 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring your tires and wheels in. Cyclegear will mount tires and balance. Then it's up to you to but wheels back on bike

Old 11-24-2010, 09:52 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 94fatboy
For those of you who are doing this yourself I would like to know how you are doing it and what steps you take to ensure you dont mess up the wheel...

Thanks
I've changed every tire on my Duece in my garage with a bead breaker and tire irons from JCWhitney. Except one - when I had a flat on a trip and had to have it towed in and done at a dealer. I use 2 X 4s to protect the wheel/rotor/pulley when using the bead breaker and scraps of cardboard to protect the wheel from the tire irons.

Guess how many scratches/gouges my wheels have from tire changes?

One! (You can guess where that came from if you'd like).

As for balancing, I made my own balancing stand out of 2 X 4s, plywood, and four ball bearings I had laying around for a total cost of zero.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:49 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I will echo what others have said. I have been riding since I was 15 and I am now 70. I have replaced all my own tires. For many years with spoons. Now I have the inexpensive HF tire changer to make it a little easier.

I have always indexed the tires( dot on tire with dot on bike) Not all rims have the dot. Sorry to say most metrics do but HD does not. So the best 2nd choice is the valve stem location. I do not inflate the tire first. I put it on a wheel balancer ( again HF and cheap)

By doing that if the valve stem area is not the heavy spot, I can rotate the tire until it is in the best balance point. I have never had to add weights with this procedure.

I buy discounted tires on line with no shipping cost or sales tax. Save a fortune on each set compared to a dealers price.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by 128auto
I mount my own tires without balance, never had problem. I think motorcycle tires are different than car tires, they are well made to begin with, plus better rubber and stronger core. Well, if I own a sport bike, I would balance it for sure.
Is that why they last so much longer than car tires?

Old 11-25-2010, 08:40 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ardakota
The dealer here gets $148 to put on a tire on a softail plus the cost of the tire and if you want nitrogen its 32 bucks more.
Nitrogen? I thought somebody made that up as a joke. They really offer nitrogen? Do they sell magic power crystals to improve your gas mileage?

The following users liked this post:
Madison Bill (08-05-2021)
Old 11-25-2010, 10:15 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

For those who want a tire changer at home that will not scratch the rims check this out. IF I actually had a garage to keep it in I would have one. the wife said no tire changer in the living room.
http://www.cyclehilltirechanger.com/pages/training

Drew

Old 08-04-2021, 06:58 PM
olddog58
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
I was going to attempt a rear tire change because with 2 bikes I figure I should learn to do it myself. Plus I'm a diehard DIYer. But summer is a busy time for me and I didn't want to be bothered with going to tire changing school. Maybe some other time.

Dealer charged me $128 +tax for the install which was listed as a 1.5hr job @$85 per hr.

tube $29
liner $3
tire (D401) $166

If I knew of an INDY I could trust in my area I would've gone to them. Don't really trust any mechanic but at least my local HD dealer answers to a higher authority and has deeper pockets in the event I get mangled or killed because they didn't tighten this or install that.
Yhe dealerships wont work on anything older than 2000 so people like me have no choice but to use independent shops or do things ourselves

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Tire Mounting And Balancing