Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on risers vs. new bars!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 08:27 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by goatdriver
Jimmers -

Do you have any pics of your Heritage with the 12" Wild Ones? Did this bring them back towards you enough? Also, was the extra width noticeable?

FireDocs -

What did you not like about the 4" risers? Did they not bring them back enough, or did you not like the look?
I haven't gotten them yet but they are the best setup I've found so far. Might make it a winter project unless I find something better or can learn to like my present setup.

I found that with the 12.5s in the showroom there was no need to pull them back from their alignment with the fr forks. But even if I had to do that I liked the fact that I would still have a comfortable rise which for me is with my hands above my elbows.

The 36" width didn't seem uncomfortable. From the research I've done, it's hard to get away from a wider grip if you want a 13" pb, unless you go with the wheelbarrow style.

Here's a picture of the 502s on a Heritage:
http://www.wild1inc.com/WO502et.html

Old 08-24-2009, 08:57 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 2007 Heritage and I was looking into putting risers on mine. I was told to be careful because of the tank. They changed the bars in 2009, they are more like the 2005 Dyna Wide Glide.

Side Bar if you trade out your bars. I would be interested in them. I am looking for the 2009 Heritage Classic Stock Bars

Old 08-24-2009, 10:15 AM
goatdriver
Advanced

Chaz -

I haven't quite made up my mind, but I'm getting closer. The risers worry me a bit about the looks, and if they bring them back enough. The only downside to the bars (I think) is the extra width. I think I can handle the 1.5" on each side, if the handling doesn't change much. Hopefully, someone can help on that. I'm really curious why Fire didn't keep his risers on?

I have looked at other manufacturers of bars, but I haven't seen much any better than Wild One's 12" ape to achieve what I need.

I am going to do the "blind" feel for my bars this evening, to see how much closer I really need!

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chaz -

I haven't quite made up my mind, but I'm getting closer. The risers worry me a bit about the looks, and if they bring them back enough. The only downside to the bars (I think) is the extra width. I think I can handle the 1.5" on each side, if the handling doesn't change much. Hopefully, someone can help on that. I'm really curious why Fire didn't keep his risers on?

I have looked at other manufacturers of bars, but I haven't seen much any better than Wild One's 12" ape to achieve what I need.

I am going to do the "blind" feel for my bars this evening, to see how much closer I really need!

Thanks for the help.

I tried these 35" inchers after riding 31" street slammers for a while....

Man it was like going from a sports car to a big old caddy with overboosted power steering!!

The 21" skinny front wheel and 35" bars was an odd combo. It rode down the road pretty good but was real sensitive in the corners. With your fat front tire I wouldnt think it would be as dramatic...On mine it was a huge difference. Kinda good yet not the rioght choice for riding one handed at high speeds whilst shifting my bike!!

Do the test. Forget the risers. Buy some bars and do a project!! 4" riser on your bike? IMO Harley Softail in general just seem to flow better with short risers!! Leave them tall riser to the Sons of Anarchy Dyna Glide crew!!

Old 08-24-2009, 03:20 PM
goatdriver
Advanced

Can't seem to find the specs on the factory bars, as all information is for older bikes. Guess I will try and measure them myself, but it seems as if it would be pretty easy to not be exactly correct?

Old 08-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't seem to find the specs on the factory bars, as all information is for older bikes. Guess I will try and measure them myself, but it seems as if it would be pretty easy to not be exactly correct?

I have always thought that Flanders actually makes or has made some of Harleys OEM bars...I could be wrong but???

Here are your bars with measurements unless they have changed since?:http://www.sideroadcycles.com/Americ...2Heritage.html

Old 08-24-2009, 06:30 PM
goatdriver
Advanced

I think they've changed them in '09, as they are now 10.5" rise stock.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:34 PM
FGC
Cruiser

to give you a point of reference i have 14 wild ones 5'9 1/2

Old 08-24-2009, 06:38 PM
tripwire759
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

Check out Wild 1 website. Click on handlebars and there is a link to stock bar info towards the bottom.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:12 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think they've changed them in '09, as they are now 10.5" rise stock.
I didn't realize the 09's have 2 more inches of rise than the 08s. If they have the same pb that could give me a much better rise. Still doesn't work for you, huh?

One thing I found confusing and still haven't resolved with Wild1s is why they say on their site that my 08 Heritage bars have 13" of pullback while HD says they only have 5". The only way my bars have 13" of pb is if I actually pull them way back to where they are now.

I know from looking at the 12.5" apes that they have more pb than my stock bars, yet Wild1s has them specked at 12" of pb. (an inch LESS than they say my Heritage bars are) Just doesn't compute.

I don't know about the riser thing for your bars. I could be wrong but it seems having apes or mini apes perched atop Deluxe risers would look odd. But maybe not.

What do you think of the 518 RKII bars. They'd give you a full 14 1/4" pb. They're also on my list of possibles.

Quick Reply: Need advice on risers vs. new bars!!