Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Strain--Need Handlebar fitment help quick!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009 | 01:12 AM
Blues Rocker
|
Intermediate
Default Back Strain--Need Handlebar fitment help quick!

I love my 2009 Fatboy but the original handlebar is about 2-3" too forward and about 2" too low. I replaced the original seat with a Sundowner to get me closer to the bar but I still need them closer.

Is it a matter of just using a 2"x2" riser or is there a better option. A Heritage Classic handle bar is close but still a little far away.

I am considering going drastic and getting a mini ape 10" set up. This will require new cable install.

Can anyone help me with this so that I don't wind up spending unnecessary money on trial and error fitting?

Would a 2"x2" (with original Fatboy bar) be the answer?
Would it require new cables?

I need help quick!

Thanks....

Old 08-23-2009 | 07:05 AM
Crackerman
Novice
Old 08-23-2009 | 07:08 AM
CyclChyc
Advanced

Unless you have bars in mind that you absolutely MUST have, I would suggest doing one thing at a time until you find the right fit. Get the risers. See how it does; if that doesn't solve the problem, then go to step 2.

For me it was as simple of a fix of cutting off one inch on either side of the stock bars. Saved alot of money that route - well.... saved is debatable. There is afterall, an abundance of bling my bike still needs. :-)

Old 08-23-2009 | 07:16 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Mini Ape = End Game.

I recently did a set of 12" Narrow mini's on my Train. Partially for the look but also due to the fact when I did the old Dirtbikers trick of closing my eyes and reaching out to where the bars would feel most comfortable?

My hands essentially ended up in Mimi Ape outer space.

I had previously had a set of street slammer's and some crazy beach type bars. Both had me hunched over in a funky position. The mini's put me back in the game.

Do the blind reach test. Sit on your bike, close your eyes, put yer dawgs on the pegs and reach for where your paws would be most comfortable. Open your eyes and observe....Better yet have yer' old lady or a buddy measure where your hands are and purchase your new bars accordingly!

Old 08-23-2009 | 07:46 AM
John Little
Cruiser

I have the same issue with my Fatty. I did the 2x2 riser and its worlds better, but still not quite right. I picked up a set of Wideglide 10.5" minis for next to nothin and I'm gonna give those a shot before investing time and money in a set of aftermarket internally wired bars, cables, etc. Just a thought.

John

Old 08-23-2009 | 07:50 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member

Friends Wife had the same problem on her Fatty, as did my wife on her Deluxe.

Both were solved by switching to Heritage bars. They can bee pulled back to where you need them, so don't simply go by what it feels like on a Heritage..

On the Deluxe, we als changed to a lower riser, otehrwise the bars would have been too high.

Old 08-23-2009 | 11:50 AM
Blues Rocker
|
Intermediate

My only concern with the Ape bars is that the angle of the grips can put the hands in a strainded position for longer riding. Also, an acquaintance had some that were too high and they eventually developed rotator cuff shoulder pain.

I think I'll try the Heritage bar route first. Does anyone know if I need to do a cable reroute on an '09 Fatboy if I go to the Heritage bars?

Old 08-23-2009 | 01:36 PM
Pep
Intermediate

I just got risers for my fatboy yesterday and I couldn't be more happier. Mine were initially too low and I was stretching a bit. Now it's perfect.

Old 08-23-2009 | 07:23 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

If you know you just need a couple inches than seems the pullback risers would be an easy solution for you.

Otherwise I'd go on some bike runs/meets and find a setup on another bike that you like. No better way to find the perfect setup for you.

Don't know if you've checked the Chubby's site or not but they have all the pullback, riser, etc specs for the various stock bars. That will give you an idea of what sort of pullback/rise you need.

Old 08-23-2009 | 08:29 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Blues Rocker
My only concern with the Ape bars is that the angle of the grips can put the hands in a strainded position for longer riding. Also, an acquaintance had some that were too high and they eventually developed rotator cuff shoulder pain.

I think I'll try the Heritage bar route first. Does anyone know if I need to do a cable reroute on an '09 Fatboy if I go to the Heritage bars?
Installed Heritage bars for the same reasons you mentioned. Only $50 with no cable changes.

Quick Reply: Back Strain--Need Handlebar fitment help quick!