Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike shut down today...twice!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:07 PM
Jacobi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike shut down today...twice!

I'll try to explain the whole situation as best I can:

I did a 3/4 to full throttle acceleration and then shut off the throttle but did not engage the clutch or apply brakes, I just allowed the engine to "brake" the bike down to a slow speed. At approx. 5mph the bike shut off. It was such a quick, smooth shut off that I thought I accidentally hit the kill switch. I restarted the bike and went on about my business. I went up to the dealership to get gas (yup, they have 91, 95, and 100 octane at my dealer and at a fairly reasonable price) and after leaving I thought I'd try it again. I did the hard acceleration followed by closing the throttle and allowing the engine to brake the bike, and the engine began to stumble when the bike was almost at a stop. What would cause this?

Here is a little about the bike to help.

2009 XBones
3,XXX miles
Exile Pipes w/baffles removed
RSD Intake
Power Commander

Other than that, all mods are appearance.

Thanks in advance,
-Barry-

Old 08-21-2009, 11:38 PM
azfathog17
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try disconnecting the PCIII and repeat the test.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

What gear were you in? After the acceleration, did you shift down while breaking on the engine or did you keep it in the same gear?

If you kept it in the same gear (let's say 4th) and let the bike brake on the engine till almost at stop every bike will stumble and run irregular. Talk about lugging your engine ...

Old 08-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Jacobi
Cruiser

Both runs were in 1st gear, no shifting at all. Thanks for the heads up Rak, but if I'm that stupid...well, hopefully I'm not out riding on the roads!

If I disconnect the PCV, how will the bike run with wide open exhaust and intake? When I plug it back it, will it retain the map it had before?

-Barry-

Old 08-22-2009, 01:38 AM
transam7969
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jacobi
Both runs were in 1st gear, no shifting at all. Thanks for the heads up Rak, but if I'm that stupid...well, hopefully I'm not out riding on the roads!

If I disconnect the PCV, how will the bike run with wide open exhaust and intake? When I plug it back it, will it retain the map it had before?

-Barry-
Unplugging and plugging it back in should just be like restarting your home computer.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:57 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

my 07 just last week stumbled flat on her nose 2 times for just a second, and them died (dead)....no lights, no light in speedo, nothing, just like she was not turned on, Turned the switch to Acc and fender lights lit..

I was just 1 block from a new Indy place in town, walked down and Young lad came and tested battery, jumped her and she started right up, the checked the charging system. it was all ok.
Then he unhooked the ECM for a minute and then put it together. Started and shut her off 3-4 times to test and she seemed fine...took her home put her to bed.
Next morning before riding I checked the battery and both bolts where about 1/2 turn loose... There not now...

so either the resetting of the ECM and or the loose bolts where the culprit, have over 600 miles since then and she's not missed a beat..

Old 08-22-2009, 08:12 AM
Jacobi
Cruiser

It is possible that the battery cables could be loose because how tight the fit is under the battery cover with that PCV under there. If I disconnect the battery for over a minute is that all that is needed to reset the PCM or is there a key sequence like in a lot of cages?