Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank Issue '08 Night Train

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:31 PM
mjsawatzky
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Tank Issue '08 Night Train

Okay spent the past hour surfing the forum for fuel tank info and got tons of helpful advice. But...still didn't find the answer to my issue. Working on my brothers '08 Night Train. We've got a bad case of "we'll try it first, ask questions second". Seems like a pretty simple task. Well we removed the main petcock at the left rear of the tank and it seems there is this clear ribbed hose attached that we damaged when unscrewing the petcock. Where does this hose go (i'm assuming to the pump) and does the sending unit and pump have to come out in order to replace it? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:53 AM
Rabbit_
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hose runs from the intank fuel pump to the fitting you unscrewed, it's not a petcock but a quick connect fitting.
Did you damage the hose? if so how bad?
and uhh, why did you unscrew it in the first place?

Old 08-21-2009, 03:49 AM
raaaaaa
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no petcock it is a quick disconnect, and in order to unscrew that quick disconnect out of the tank, you have to remove the tank panel that houses your fuel pump. it is located underneath the speed tank dash. there are 10-12 screws. once you take those screws off you can lift up the entire fuel pump assembly there you will see the clear ribbed hose. that hose is attached using the same clamps that your fuel tank cross over line has, it will need to be cut.

the problem you ran into was that you turned the quick release not realizing that the hose in the gas tank does not spin freely. that hose is not sold seperatly, it is sold with the quick release as a whole unit (because it is)

oh yeah, to avoid your next hiccup you will need to order a new set of screws and gasket for that fuel pump housing. the screws have a special nylon crush washer on them that keep it from leaking. I re-used mine and found out that every time i topped off the tank I leaked a little gas off the top, tough to see because your dash hides it. but if you let that gas sit on your tank it will eat the paint..

Old 08-21-2009, 05:16 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Here you go, some topics with pictures on how to get inside your fuel tank and gut it ...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...tank-guts.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...to-w-pics.html

Enjoy!