Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running fine then motor died.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:42 PM
mjmangus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running fine then motor died.

Tried a search but didn't find what I was looking for. The bike (07fxstc) was running fine then for no apparent reason it died. I turned everything off then back on a couple times and it restarted. I saw in some other posts that in 06 there were some problems with some breakers, however, I have all the schematics for my 07 and it doesn't show any breakers. Cables are tight (both ends) and when it restarted it ran great. I have the hands free security system. Could a weak battery in the fob be a problem? I momentarily lost speedo, ignition, and starter but the fuel pump would still run through its normal deal and no codes. Since the security system takes out the ignition and starter I thought that might the prob.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:41 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Just had our 07 Heritage last Friday night cut out twice for a few seconds and then third time she was just dead.. 1st time she's missed a beat in 22k, nothing worked with ign switch on. But when I turned the switch to acc the fender lights worked.

Just happened to be it 1 block from our newest Indy shop. walked to them and a young fellow came down, 1st said bad battery,?? haven't had any problems, then he jumped it and got it running, checked charging, all was fine. unpluged the ECM to reset it and restarted 4-5 times and still ok.. drove her home.

He wouldn't take anything for helping, just asked to spread the word...OK..

Saturday morning I checked the battery and both the bolts + &- were a little loose,only turned both about a 1/4 to 3/8 turn to tighten, didn't take much to get tight but maybe that was loose enough to cause the problem.??.

Rode bout 75 miles afterwards and went with son to Hd with him, talked to service dept and they said sometimes just unpluging the EMC to reset the brain can help the dead issue. also the battery bolts even a little loose can do it also. So what that youngster did was right on...

I realized sat afternoon that I blew my second highlight low beam in the last 6k, so now I wonder if the not tight battery bolts could have caused that also...

Rode about 250 miles now and hasn't missed a lick...

I also have the security system but didn't do anything with it... not the one with alarm...

Last edited by oct1949; 08-17-2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: added
Old 08-18-2009, 07:09 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i had the brain dead issue and so did the bike. was a loose ground wire on the battery. it was just 1/4 turn loose but that is all it took for the bike

Old 08-18-2009, 09:19 AM
mke125125
Road Captain

my 07 deluxe did the same thing. took it to the dealer,they found no codes and it hasnt done it since. the service manager said "the ecm must of took a dump". o well i never got a straight answer. and a couple thousand miles later im still good, so i guess we will see.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:35 AM
BigJoeNY
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So did you check your battery terminals?

Originally Posted by mjmangus
Tried a search but didn't find what I was looking for. The bike (07fxstc) was running fine then for no apparent reason it died. I turned everything off then back on a couple times and it restarted. I saw in some other posts that in 06 there were some problems with some breakers, however, I have all the schematics for my 07 and it doesn't show any breakers. Cables are tight (both ends) and when it restarted it ran great. I have the hands free security system. Could a weak battery in the fob be a problem? I momentarily lost speedo, ignition, and starter but the fuel pump would still run through its normal deal and no codes. Since the security system takes out the ignition and starter I thought that might the prob.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:06 AM
AK47
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had similar symptoms and it ended up being the ground wire loose on the battery. Tightened it up and she runs like a champ once again.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:21 PM
mjmangus
Tourer

Originally Posted by BigJoeNY
So did you check your battery terminals?
Yep. As I said earlier the cables were tight at both ends, however, with all the replies with loose cables I think I'll take mine off to look for corrosion.

thanks for the help guys.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:12 PM
qwispichkn
Tourer

yep, check the ground wire

Old 08-18-2009, 07:41 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

About 300 or so miles into a ride, an '08 x-bones I was riding with just stopped (on the freeway). After asking him if he recently done anything to it - he replaced the rear blinkies....? Dont know if that had anything to do with it.....the security system would not recognize the FOB. Out of desperation of not wanting to be on the side of the fwy in the middle of nowhere......I told him to disconnect and re-connect the battery. Bam! she fired right up and I gained a 12pack. That security system (which I dont have) seems to be more of an issue to deal with but maybe worth it one day, who knows.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:55 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

rode another 150 today and she is running perfect... dont know if resetting the EMC or tightening the battery bolts fixed it, think its the battery bolt not being really tight more cause when the kid jumped it I move the wires on the battery around first,...