Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel choices when using Heartland USA 180 kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009 | 03:19 PM
honkylips
|
Road Captain
Default Wheel choices when using Heartland USA 180 kit

I was considering a 180 kit for my 02 fatboy, but am having serious second thoughts after talking to them. First off, their prices are ridiculous. Secondly, when asking them about wheel choices, he made it sound like I could only run their wheel, and going with anybody else would be a gamble. He specifically said not to run a DNA wheel, but couldn't/wouldn't elaborate as to why. He said I need a 18x5.5 wheel with a 3/16th's offset, but only told me the specific offset needed after i badgered him a lot. Anybody else deal with these guys get the same negative BS from them? They want $1k for one wheel/tire. It's bad enough they charge $700 for a pair of fender struts.

So who's running other wheels with their heartland kits.

Old 08-17-2009 | 06:12 PM
honkylips
|
Road Captain

I called Heartland back today and talked to somebody else. I gotta say that the person I spoke to today was the polar opposite of the guy i spoke to before. Very friendly, helpful, and informative. I guess I got a bad apple before. Anyway, just thought I'd throw the good out there with the bad.

Old 08-17-2009 | 07:53 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Did they still want a grand for one tire but just talk nice and ya' feel better about it?

You Sir' are a better man than me. I couldnt do it.....Well yeah I guess I could. Heres my pay-pal address: Bigmoneyheartlandwheel@bigbucks.com

LOL!

Old 08-17-2009 | 08:10 PM
JohnK-NJ
Tourer

It seems like they don't want you to to get the wrong rim and then blame them but they should give you the correct offset.

Old 08-17-2009 | 08:29 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master

After a phone call like that I wouldnt buy shat from 'em. I bet you could go to a local fab shop and have them make you some struts from your concepts...save you some $ and also have the pride that they were your design. That way you can run whatever wheel you want....IMO

Old 08-18-2009 | 12:55 AM
honkylips
|
Road Captain

No, they didnt just make me feel all better about it. I didnt buy a wheel/tire from them. He gave me a discount/free shipping on the 180 kit and I bought that. A local fab shop may or may not have been cheaper, but I don't see how that would give me any more "pride" since it's still somebody elses work. I know my mechanical limits. I do all the work that I can, but I got no problem paying somebody to do something that I don't have the skills to do, or the time/resources to learn. I know that makes me less "hardcore" than a lot of guys around these type of boards like to portray themselves as, but I could give a ****.

Last edited by honkylips; 08-18-2009 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-18-2009 | 06:21 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by honkylips
No, they didnt just make me feel all better about it. I didnt buy a wheel/tire from them. He gave me a discount/free shipping on the 180 kit and I bought that. A local fab shop may or may not have been cheaper, but I don't see how that would give me any more "pride" since it's still somebody elses work. I know my mechanical limits. I do all the work that I can, but I got no problem paying somebody to do something that I don't have the skills to do, or the time/resources to learn. I know that makes me less "hardcore" than a lot of guys around these type of boards like to portray themselves as, but I could give a ****.
I'm with ya' on saying forget the pride and get it done and back on your ride mentality!!

I will say that wanting a grand for a wheel sounds insane.

Forget all the portrayals and hardcore biker buildoff crap. Get that bike done and share some photos of it!!

Old 08-18-2009 | 09:12 AM
scottj18
Novice

I just bought an EZ Rock R kit from Jake at Heartland. Jake is one of two that answer the phones at Heartland and he has been very helpful and a pleasure to deal with.
As to the $1000 price tag on a tire/wheel, that's about what HD charged me 2 months ago for a Crossbones 200mm tire/wheel.
Lastly, I have the capabilities to manufacture my Heartland EZ Rock R kit. From solid modeling the design, programming, to 4 and 5-axis machining and turning. I know exactly what is involved in the way of machine tools , software, and most importantly, my time. I felt the price was fair based on the amount of my time it would take, so I paid them, as I would rather ride than work.

Old 08-18-2009 | 09:57 AM
gambueller1
Cruiser

Lips........... so what was the final verdict on the wheel set up?? I called a while back (about a year and some change ago) and got the same run around. I already have the 180 kit on my bike which I love, but a grand for a wheel and tire?!?!?! Just seems a bit much, and not only that but what if I want to run something different?? The only reason I haven't bought it yet is b/c I am chillin in Iraq (actually coming up with SO many ideas for my ride) and am waiting til I get home to finish it up.

Old 08-18-2009 | 10:35 AM
honkylips
|
Road Captain

From what I was able to gather, the wheel needs a 3/16" offset, or you can space the pulley out. I haven't figured wheels out yet. Prolly do a 52 spoke fat wheel.