Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runaway Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006 | 10:23 PM
OkieFatboy
|
Cruiser
Default Runaway Fatboy

I must say I discovered this site today and it is very informative! Great forum for HD enthusiasts. Last year I traded my RK for an 05 Fatboy. This bike has been squirelly from day one however my dealer advised that the solid wheels were the problem. I thought this was BS but bought a set of Herotage Laced rims and had them swapped. Last weekend was the first chance I have had to do any real riding since the wheel swap. This bike handles like Sh#t in every phase of operation. It gyrates @70-80. Is terrible in turns. I have owned 85 Sportster, 90 FXR, 96 Sportster, 03 RK and this 05 Fatboy, as well as several metrics In my younger days. I was totally disappointed in the way the dealer treats faithful customers and your forums have shed much light on this problem. I called the dealer today and he stated exactly what most readers have stated "we are unaware of any problems" That should have been checked during your 1000 mi service. No Sh#t! I have RK type nacelle on this bike which was not removed. How did they adjust my fallaway? The whole maintenance operation took 1 hour.
I think they probably skipped half of the checklist. I would like to know if any Heritage or Fatboy owners have experienced this problem. Also have any actually had this problem remedied so that wobble and instability was nonexistent. I hate to trade the bike as I love the look and feel, just not when it's moving! Appreciate any help![sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 06-03-2006 | 10:25 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Runaway Fatboy

My bike is stable as can be. Even when passing/being passed by big rigs.

Go to another dealer, you don't need the work to be done by the one you purchased from.

Old 06-03-2006 | 10:45 PM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member

Okie, I would seek a second opinion if that is at all possible. Harley dealers are no different than Auto dealers, being some are crap and don't care about long term return business and others know the meaning of costumer service. I ride a '00 Heritage and it's stable to over 100 mph, through the turns all the way down to the floor boards. I wish you all the luck with getting your problem rectified.

Sanford

Old 06-03-2006 | 10:51 PM
OkieFatboy
|
Cruiser

Thanks Sanford.. There are so may posts about wheel wobble on Fatboy and Heritage models. I will hit the hiway tueday morning as soon as the dealer gets through for the final verdict.

Old 06-03-2006 | 10:51 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member

I have an 06 fatty. One of the reasons I chose it over a bagger was its stability coupled with its nimbleness.

It sounds like something is radically wrong with your bike. Be careful!!!

Old 06-03-2006 | 11:01 PM
OkieFatboy
|
Cruiser

I am used to leaning all the way down to the boards on twisties....This bike will make you pucker. It does seem radical that something as simple as fallaway adjustment can cause the instabilty in turns and wobble at hiway speeds. I tried to correct this yesterday as per the manual but my roadtest proved me unworthy! I will update on Tuesday.

Old 06-03-2006 | 11:17 PM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member

First off Welcome to the Forum its always a pleasure to have another Fat Boy in the mix. I too have the 05 Fat Boy and have had 0 problems with it. And I personnaly feel the BS about "Solid Rims" is just that BS. I ride solids and have very lil problems maybe if 30 mph crosswind yes but everyone does then. I would find another dealer or a good wrench in the area and get your ride fixed. How are your mechinacial skills? Do you own a Service Manual? If not I would reccomend that and a parts manual as they will pay for themselfs in no time. I do most my own wrenching and have the pleasure of being friends with 2 great HD Mechs one is actualy MMI Grad and HD Certified other is just a self taught 30 Year HD Man. Good luck on the bike just needs some fine tuning from the sounds of things.

Old 06-03-2006 | 11:38 PM
OkieFatboy
|
Cruiser

Thanks for the welcome Geno! I have the HD shop manual but it so poorly written that I cross referenced the steps with two other Harley shop manuals. I also have a 96 sporty (wife's ride). The book tells you to mark center on the fender using masking tape. I hung a plumb bob above fender to reference marker. The tolerance is 1 in min/ 2 in max. The manual does not give a clear indication as to is the mark from center? or from the fallaway mark. Anyway I am in the aviation industry and have excellent mech skills. I have wrench my own Harleys since 85. I will let the dealer handle this one however I will be both shocked and amazed if it works. It is just to erratic.

Old 06-03-2006 | 11:44 PM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member

Whats the tourque setting on your steraing collum? Sounds like may be too loose do you hear any "clanking"? Which Manual are you refering too as being vauge? The thick 05 Softail?

Old 06-04-2006 | 01:15 AM
OkieFatboy
|
Cruiser

If you reference the Harley Davidson manual (The official Thick shop manual) the instruction for fallaway test tells you to mark the center of the fender. Then tap the fender to each direction and mark the point at which the fenders falls away on it's own. Mark this point on the tape. Then go the other direction and mark. The marks should be 1 in min/ 2 in max. Is this 1in/2in from the center line or from the fallaway mark? That is what's vague. The steps are on page 1-35 of the 2005 softail manual.

Quick Reply: Runaway Fatboy