Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runaway Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006 | 01:23 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Runaway Fatboy

There is a great easy way to do this posted in the DIY forum.

I think by Poccoj

Much simpler, and seems to work.

Old 06-04-2006 | 01:28 AM
OkieFatboy
|
Cruiser

I will check that out. Thanks for the info!

Old 06-08-2006 | 09:24 PM
93HD
Advanced

Okie what kind of tires ya running?are they new?Well any way i was getting wobbles at 65 or 70 and drove me nuts.I bought some new metzlers 880 and no more problems personaly i hate those dunlops
and the solid wheels do affect the ride at higher speeds.The reason i know this is my bro in law has a
heritage almost the same set up as mine and i can take his bike cause in my garage to.Same day i was
riding and was getting blowed around i came home took out his and a it is much better.But i do think
the state or area is some of the problems.Connecticut is a lot rougher than Cali. we get winters here
I ended up buying some fat 50 spokes after the metzlers.Just have not taken any new pics yet.The bike is better than it was with those solids on for me at least.

Old 06-08-2006 | 10:13 PM
OkieFatboy
|
Cruiser

I took the Fatboy in tuesday and I had two problems. The neck bearings were tight and had no grease. The dealer greased the bearings and adjusted the fallaway. It is a different machine now. Took to the highway and it was great ! I changed to spokes last winter thinking that would help but a little grease goes a long way! I am going to metzelers after the factory tires wear.

ORIGINAL: 93HD

Okie what kind of tires ya running?are they new?Well any way i was getting wobbles at 65 or 70 and drove me nuts.I bought some new metzlers 880 and no more problems personaly i hate those dunlops
and the solid wheels do affect the ride at higher speeds.The reason i know this is my bro in law has a
heritage almost the same set up as mine and i can take his bike cause in my garage to.Same day i was
riding and was getting blowed around i came home took out his and a it is much better.But i do think
the state or area is some of the problems.Connecticut is a lot rougher than Cali. we get winters here
I ended up buying some fat 50 spokes after the metzlers.Just have not taken any new pics yet.The bike is better than it was with those solids on for me at least.

Old 06-08-2006 | 10:28 PM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member

Glad to see you got this straightened out. Now get out there and ride!

Sanford

Old 03-25-2007 | 10:48 PM
ultpd
Stage III

Hello to all. I just bought a 05 fat boy with 6000 miles and while gently taking off in 1st gear i get a noticable shake to the bike which is not there if i go harder on the bike. Is this normal since all i had prior is metric bikes and it was not present there. I also have the solid rims and had the chance to ride it in the worst of weather and handled great no problems there. Just wondering if it could be something with the clutch. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-25-2007 | 10:55 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

Its more likely that your just not used to how a BIG TWIN feels. Metric's with more and smaller pistons usually start off at higher rpm's and tend to buzz more than shake.
V-Twins shake at lower rpm's, its the nature of the beast, and there's nothing wrong.

Old 03-25-2007 | 10:58 PM
ultpd
Stage III

Thank you Citoriplus. I noticed that it does handle and sound better at a higher RPM.

Old 03-25-2007 | 11:05 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

You have to remember that Harley's are low rpm engines. Their red line is far lower than many of the Metric's, hell my old Yamaha had a red line of nearly 13,000 with my Hog its less than half that.
But on the plus side you need nearly 10,000 of those 13,000 rpm's to get anywhere but I rarely need to go much past4,000 to4,500 with the Harley in any gear.

Old 03-25-2007 | 11:12 PM
Heritage07
Road Warrior

I have 4175 on my 07 Heritage and it's stable at all speeds. The Heritage and fat boy arethe same bike other then the bars. wheels, and fenders. Could it be you were spoiled by the road king's smoothness with its rubber mounted engine and smoother suspention?

Quick Reply: Runaway Fatboy