Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night Train/Wide Glide Front end drop. Comparison Pics!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009 | 10:08 AM
Chazmanian
|
R.I.P. BROTHER
Default Night Train/Wide Glide Front end drop. Comparison Pics!!

I started a thread about doing some 2 under fork tubes a while back...But that thread went so off topic (My fault) I figgered to to start a freshy!!

So I have some photos that kinda show what each fork mod does to the stance and ride height of our beloved FXST bikes with the wideglider fork.

First off...I'm creepy and neverr liked the Chopperesque stance of the stock fork. I thought it was spindly looking and flexed way to much in the corners.

Heres my Train early in my ownership at stock fork height during the chromed out "Glam Years" it was hot...For a minute:

That whole look wasnt working for me and I headed a new direction which included lowering the front end and going with an 18" rear wheel.

So heres the bike with the progressive 2" lowering kit it was oh so close but I knew it needed just a shade more:

Over this past weekend I pulled the front end back apart and installed a set of 2 under fork tubes and experimented around with the overall ride height. Took me 3 tries and 8 hours to get it where I thought it felt and looked acceptable. Fine line between feel and look with this mod as my first combo was 2 under tubes and 1" worth of progressive kit. Yikes it looked the same. Second try was Next attempt was using the full 2" drop plus the shorty tubes. Frame still wasnt level. What the hell? My bike is stuck in Chopper mode for life or what!!

Final attempt. Removed some of the PVC spacer....Almost flat across the bottom of the frame. Handles killer. Like it feels like a sportster good. Front end is smooth and good. No bottoming. No more high speed flexi-flyer stuff. I used 20WT. I cant go much lower if any at this point as the cable on my foot clutch will hit the front fender. I honestly think to get the very most of the lowered front end look on these bikes a guy needs to do a 23" front wheel....I kind like my fender so the 23" no fender look isnt on my agenda for now. I highly reccomend the shorty tubes to anyone who really likes to hammer their bike through the twisties. Its night and day better. BTW this is another low buck mod (My forte!) The 2 under tubes were $135.00 shipped and came with new seals and everything. My progressive kit was only $85.00. I did add a set of Billet dust boot covers which I had PC'ed. I bought em' used off E-Bay for $10.00 and paid another $10.00 to get them PC'ed. If it isnt in the motor I do all my own work so labour? Nada!!

Final result:

And a straight up comparo shot.
Before:

After:

For those of yens without the derned foot clutch cable blocking any more slammage? You guys could go another half inch lower....Man it rides better. Subtle change...Good change!

Last edited by Chazmanian; 08-17-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-17-2009 | 10:21 AM
MicDeuce
Intermediate

thats quite an attitude change there you made Chaz, very nicely modded. Everything together looks like it was meant to be, very cool. How do you like the ride now thats its lowered? Did you have to sacrafice too much cush on the bumps?

looks bad *** mang!

Old 08-17-2009 | 10:23 AM
lucospock
Tourer

great thread! I'm sure great for those who are tortured by our front end, including me...But I'm a springer guy...

Old 08-17-2009 | 10:34 AM
Chazmanian
|
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by lucospock
great thread! I'm sure great for those who are tortured by our front end, including me...But I'm a springer guy...
I'm a springer guy too...But until I have that $1500 in hand to get a good one or an OEM? I'm fvcking with this wide glider!!

If I told you I used your sig pic to try and gauge where a stock wide glide sets would you believe me?

I swear I have your sig pic saved to my computer as a good reference on how much tube is poking outta the sliders in stock mode!!

How do you like the ride now thats its lowered? Did you have to sacrafice too much cush on the bumps?

looks bad *** mang!
I know this sounds crazy but it rides better. The flex is gona and I dindt drop it so low as to make it unridable. The shorty tubes I ordered had six smaller damping holes Vs' the 4 bigger holes on my stockers. I dillicked around with the spacers, and used 20WT oil. I put it on my Mom that its smoother and better...Plus it turns in like a derned sportster now!

Cheap little mods are my thing. I like this one. Wide glide forks have way to much unbraced tube coming outta the lower sliders. That makes for a flexi-flyer feel and overall suspension inconsistancy. I have a Jockey shifter and often find myself doing 75-80 MPH on the gas with one hand on the bars and one hand shifting into 5th gear. I cant afford flexi-flyer forks!!

Old 08-17-2009 | 10:35 AM
Dustmaker
Club Member

I like it Chaz! Great job on the pics and the post. You need that air ride for the back now...lol

Where did you get your 2in under tubes? I sure could use a set.

Old 08-17-2009 | 10:38 AM
Chazmanian
|
R.I.P. BROTHER

So the end result is about 4 3/4" of slider measured from top of dust boot cobver to bottom of triple tree. Stock is about 8 1/2" worth of exposed slider. 2" progressive results in about 6 1/2" of exposed slider. Frmae is hard to get level due to the rake. It takes alot of drop to make a little difference on the overall *** low front end high design.

Old 08-17-2009 | 10:40 AM
Chazmanian
|
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by Dustmaker
I like it Chaz! Great job on the pics and the post. You need that air ride for the back now...lol

Where did you get your 2in under tubes? I sure could use a set.
I offered this guy $100 shipped.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...d=p3911.c0.m14

He countered at $135.00 with a new set of seals.

I took the offer.

Old 08-17-2009 | 11:37 AM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member

"I'm Creepy"... LMAO

Hey brotha... Great job! Can't wait to see whats next, M

Old 08-17-2009 | 11:59 AM
Damage_Inc
Tourer

It seems you can do no wrong, I mean it looked great before but now it's uh.. even better! I wish I had your vision, but thankfully you make good informative threads like this so we can keep up. It looks excellent.

Old 08-17-2009 | 12:13 PM
Chazmanian
|
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by story808
"I'm Creepy"... LMAO

Hey brotha... Great job! Can't wait to see whats next, M
Next is putting on my badass Hawaii "Chicks Dig My Ride" T-Shirt that just arrived in the mail and head into town to stir up some trouble....Errr go pay some bills.

Thanks for the shirt Mang. I'm gonna find you one of our mountain man version and get you hooked up in return!

Quick Reply: Night Train/Wide Glide Front end drop. Comparison Pics!!