Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new or used night train?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:57 PM
6fthook
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new or used night train?

Hi everyone!

I currently have a 2001 XL1200C Sportster but I am absoultely in love with the Night Train and planned on getting one but kept putting it off since it's a complete want and not a necessity. As usual, I was looking up the Night Train on the Harley Davidson website and I noticed that for the 2010 lineup the Night Train is gone!! So I guess it's now or never.

My question is, should I buy very slightly used like 1000-4000 miles, or should I go to a Harley Davidson dealership and see if they can locate a new 2009 Night Train for me?

Does the bike depreciate immediately when someone buys it (like a car)? Or do they not depreciate at all? I was looking at used Night Trains and even with 1000-4000 miles on it the price isn't much lower than brand new list price. Also, it's hard to compare with a new stock bike because most of the used ones have some sort of customization and other add-ons.

Any help or guidance is appreciated!

Old 08-12-2009, 08:30 PM
cweiss
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts

I dealt with the same issue a little over a year ago. dealer had a used one and it was priced out 1500 or 2000 below new. decided to go brand new. Something special about buying one off the showroom floor.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

I bought mine used about a month ago but it is an 04. If you want new or slightly used, I suggest new. You get an original blank canvas. You start a relationship with the dealership (if that is what you want). You get a new bike warranty. You know your bike hasn't been abused, etc.

That being said, I paid $9500 for the bike you see below. There are more pics in my garage. It is close enough to a blank canvas for me. I really don't care to develop a relationship with the dealer. A warranty would be nice, but between me and some of my friends, we can fix about everything that can go wrong.

Pick your poison, but if you want a new one, you better do it quick

Last edited by Shaved Ice; 08-12-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Called2Duty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you can swing an xtra 1500 for new that warranty and knowledge of your bike is nice, not necessary but nice.. i looked at a used one got a 09 and im glad I did. better hurry, aint none left around here that iv seen and heard from buddies

Pick your poison, but if you want a new one, you better do it quick [/QUOTE]

Old 08-12-2009, 10:51 PM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yea they are gone around here if your gonna buy new get it now. imho i would buy used. i've bought both new and used hd's and you can get a lot more for your $$ on a used one. also, it's still a buyer's market.

good luck....

Old 08-13-2009, 06:15 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,454 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Not even a question for me.I bought a new one and to me I threw away 1500-2k right away.The new factor wore off the second day when I started changing stuff.Wish I had the money then.Used my warranty 1 time for a warped front rotor that would have cost me 129.00.I won't ever buy another new bike or car or truck for that matter.The depreciation hit is just another money throw away to me.There are too many used bikes out there right now for the right price.
As far as a relationship with a dealer.Fcvk that.............G.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:27 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Plenty of 2009's left over search here:
http://www.chopperexchange.com/

Old 08-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by back again
Not even a question for me.I bought a new one and to me I threw away 1500-2k right away.The new factor wore off the second day when I started changing stuff.I won't ever buy another new bike or car or truck for that matter.The depreciation hit is just another money throw away to me.There are too many used bikes out there right now for the right price.
As far as a relationship with a dealer.Fcvk that.............G.
Amen to this post. Spot on!!

Old 08-13-2009, 08:16 AM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought my 'Train new at a dealer, but that was only because I was new to the game and not that handy. If you have a good hand with tools and mechanical issues, I would go used.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 AM
6fthook
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I called a local HD dealership today, and they have no new ones in black. But they do have a 2008 Night Train in black with 900 something miles on it, a year left on warranty, and like new condition. It's pretty much stock except for smooth rims (I think that's what he called it, could of been another name). Only thing though, the price is $16,900 not including tax!!!!! The HD website lists Night Trains starting at $15,899. Can you guys/gals think of why this used bike costs more than MSRP? He did say that I won't have to pay for freight and all that, but it still sounds high to me. I think I may just buy a used one privately, not through a dealer. But who knows, I'll probably change my mind 10 minutes later and want a new one again. Thanks for the help so far! Keep it coming!

Quick Reply: new or used night train?