Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S 106" Hot Setup Almost Done

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:26 PM
kkinderen
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S&S 106" Hot Setup Almost Done

I got the bike back on Friday and I finished off the first 500 miles Sunday going through PA. There's been no oil loss and the spark plugs look clean. There is a bit of a ping issue at this point. The Twin Tech was adjusted a bit during the 500 mile check up but it isn't perfect yet. When I hit 1000 miles the bike goes back in for a day on the dyno. I expect everything will be 100% at that time.

Besides the ping, everything else seems to be running nicely. The engine sounds great through the V&H BR 2-into-1. It it isn't terribly loud at low RPM - a nice growl. It really wakes up when I get on it a little. It feels great running it up from a stop and went though the hills of PA this weekend with ease.

I have the instructions from Twin Tech so I may play with it a little before it goes in for the dyno. I've been careful to keep it out of the range where it pings as much as possible.

I'll have the rest of the miles on the bike this week and hopefully have a dyno sheet to post Tuesday if everything checks out good. I'll also post the setup with the sheet.

Thanks for everyone's advice on my previous posts about this project.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was it a fairly simple bolt up conversion? What do you expect on the dyno?

Old 08-12-2009, 05:44 AM
kkinderen
Road Master

It took a little over 3 weeks in the shop. I think they had to bore out the case for the new cylinders. Other than that, it was pretty much putting parts together. I went with a new carb, clutch and transmission as well. He said he didn't have any problems with it.

I'm hoping it hits 100/100. For a 106 build that should be easy but because I stressed reliability & longevity I think the cam selection was pretty mild.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:52 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should hit your 100/100 easily. My lil' 95" is doing 93/108 and I left power sitting on the bench due to cam choice.

Funny you bring up the evil ping. Mine has started pinging lately and its gonna hafta go in for a retune. Ran great til the weather got real hot.....

Congrats on the completion.

Big Vikings need....Big Power!!!

Old 08-12-2009, 08:08 AM
kkinderen
Road Master

Chaz (or anyone else)... question for you on pinging. Is the only thing that can cause pinging the timing? I checked the settings of the Twin Tech and it is at 2/2 - right where the vendor's instructions say it should be for a high compression engine. This was backed down by the shop from where he had it initially set. Still have that dang pinging though.

What else could cause pinging? I'm using Exxon 93 for the most part.

I'll be talking to the shop today to discuss. An old bike I had (a BMW) had a bad pinging problem. It was almost disgusting to ride. I don't want to go through that again.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kkinderen
Chaz (or anyone else)... question for you on pinging. Is the only thing that can cause pinging the timing? I checked the settings of the Twin Tech and it is at 2/2 - right where the vendor's instructions say it should be for a high compression engine. This was backed down by the shop from where he had it initially set. Still have that dang pinging though.

I'll be talking to the shop today to discuss. An old bike I had (a BMW) had a bad pinging problem. It was almost disgusting to ride. I don't want to go through that again.
KK,

This is my first foray into the evil world of ping as well. I suspect mine is a timing/high heat/summer gas issue maybe.

I have heard many stories of ping but always laughed them off as I didnt have the issue....Til now!!

I'm pissed that I do not have much knowledge on this issue. Like I'm going on the hunt for all the info I can possibly garner up ASAP.

Mine does it in 3rd-4th-5th under load. Sounds like little wine glasses being broken. It sucks.

If its cool outside? Not noticible whatsoever. My bike was tuned in the winter at 65-70 degrees at the tuners shop.

So I'm heading out to the garage here in a minute with a pack of ciggarettes in search of an airleak first.

I bought this last tank of fuel at a local grocery store and almost wondering did I accidently use 85 or 87 octane? Man I cant remember!!

I think I'm gonna go fill up somewhere else today.

Ethanol in the fuel? Maybe? Considering buying a bottle of octane booster??

If the new fuel and shot of octane (We can only buy 91 up here) dosent work i'm gonna get mine re-tuned.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:52 AM
BigJoeNY
Tourer

Maybe their delivery got screwed up or they are cheating the public selling 87 out of the premium pumps. It's not unheard of.

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
I bought this last tank of fuel at a local grocery store and almost wondering did I accidently use 85 or 87 octane? Man I cant remember!!

Old 08-12-2009, 09:02 AM
BigJoeNY
Tourer

No.
Chaz (or anyone else)... question for you on pinging. Is the only thing that can cause pinging the timing?
What compression is that build producing? What do you mean 93 for the most part? I wouldn't ride the bike until it's fixed. Could be A/F mixture, timing, extreme temps in your area, etc. etc. It's a new build correct....? High compression with low octane could cook that piston to name just one.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:56 AM
kkinderen
Road Master

I believe it is a 10.4:1 build. At one point in the trip I used Sheetz 92 octane fuel. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it but I've been through two more tanks since then. I'm even thinking the fact that some pumps use the same nozzle for 87/89/93 might be putting some low octane fuel in the tank.

I spoke with the shop. He asked me to back down on the ignition timing and advance even further... down to 0/0. He also said that until the 1000 miles are up and the bike has been on the dyno the A/F ratio could be off. I'll try the ignition change but I'll have to wait until Tuesday to see how it all turns out.

A buddy of mine has some 116 octane race fuel. He asked me if I wanted to try that out. I think I'll pass on that for now.

In the end, I paid good money for the build and the shop has an excellent reputation so I'm sure this is all going to turn out good. I just can't stand pinging!

Old 08-12-2009, 10:17 AM
BigJoeNY
Tourer

This is not good. With the gas prices today, you can bet 87 was in the line before you pulled up.
I'm even thinking the fact that some pumps use the same nozzle for 87/89/93 might be putting some low octane fuel in the tank.
So they want you to put another 500 miles on the bike pinging. F-that is all I can say. Turning down the dial may fix the prob if it's an advanced timing curve prob but they should do it and dyno the bike, not you. They installed the module correct?
I spoke with the shop. He asked me to back down on the ignition timing and advance even further... down to 0/0. He also said that until the 1000 miles are up and the bike has been on the dyno the A/F ratio could be off. I'll try the ignition change but I'll have to wait until Tuesday to see how it all turns out.
You shouldn't need that much octane for the build. Your motor needs the right amount of heat to make good horsepower. 114 for that compression will make less horsepower because it will burn too cool. Not the correct fix for the problem.
A buddy of mine has some 116 octane race fuel. He asked me if I wanted to try that out. I think I'll pass on that for now.

Quick Reply: S&S 106" Hot Setup Almost Done