Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Deluxe, reduced reach bars, help

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 11:15 PM
ggf
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail Deluxe, reduced reach bars, help

Hello all,
My wife has an 07 Deluxe. She is height disadvantaged and the bike has been lowered front and rear. However, she still has trouble with the stretch to the handlebars and would like some that pull back closer to her body. I know there are several options, but was wondering if any of the members would have suggestions as to what kind of bars, or the dimensions of them, that they have used to get them closer to the rider. She does like the look of the oem bars. Thanks, Greg

Old 08-04-2009, 11:41 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

My wife is 5'4. She has the 518's on her Heritage and likes them

Old 08-05-2009, 05:18 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put Heritage bars on my wife's Deluxe and she loves them. You will need to get slightly longer cables but you can change to braided to spiff up the bike.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:40 AM
wheely
Tourer

I put Khromewerks Sweepers on my Deluxe and love'm! They have a great feel to them. They are similiar to the Heritage bars, but have a curve to them.....making them a little different.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:41 AM
wheely
Tourer

And if she really wants them far back, use the factory risers. I had them on at first but they were too far back for me.......I went with some regular 1 1/2" risers.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:01 AM
doghair
Road Warrior

I like the oem bars also. I turned mine down a little over an inch for comfort, it seemed to gain me a little reach. I don't know if it will be enough for her but it may be worth a shot before breaking out the $.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:42 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wheely
I put Khromewerks Sweepers on my Deluxe and love'm! They have a great feel to them. They are similiar to the Heritage bars, but have a curve to them.....making them a little different.
Did it change how it handles in turns at all? Do you have any more pics you can post? I've contemplated changing out my bars to as I am also vertically challenged at 5'2" but have been afraid it would change how the bike handles turns. Thanks.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:23 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Lots of good suggestions on the bars. Have either of you considered a seat change instead or in addition to a bar swap? There are some seats that will maintain the integrity of the look of a Deluxe while simultaneously bringing the rider a couple inches forward.

One other possibility to consider is looking for some pullback risers. You said she likes the look of the stock bars. You can keep those but bring the bars back, and up or down depending on the risers, to put them where she needs/wants them to be.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:31 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bensonjv
Lots of good suggestions on the bars. Have either of you considered a seat change instead or in addition to a bar swap? There are some seats that will maintain the integrity of the look of a Deluxe while simultaneously bringing the rider a couple inches forward.

One other possibility to consider is looking for some pullback risers. You said she likes the look of the stock bars. You can keep those but bring the bars back, and up or down depending on the risers, to put them where she needs/wants them to be.
A friend has a reach seat on hers and while it did help, not enough and she still wound up changing out her bars. No, it's certainly something to consider. Thanks!

Old 08-05-2009, 03:59 PM
wheely
Tourer

GeorgiaGirl......To me it handles better. I hated the OEM bars. I first went with HD fat mini-apes, but my hands stayed numb. I never have that problem with these bars. I have some more pics on my profile page.

Quick Reply: Softail Deluxe, reduced reach bars, help