Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Upgrade vs New Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:51 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Engine Upgrade vs New Bike?

I've got a '05 FLSTN, purchased last year from a guy who literally spent more time washing/waxing than riding. I've put ~10K miles on the bike (odometer reads ~13,000, so it's virtually new) and must say it's one of my all-time favorite rides -- but there are issues. The engine is stock 88", carb'ed, and runs/sounds great, but the power is just not enough. This was really rubbed in recently when I spent 3 days riding in the Smokies! I could almost sense the bike breathing a sigh of relief when we got back to the (flat) Lousiana delta.

So, here's my question:

I'm considering either building up the engine, or just buying a new bike. The engine work would be done by either the local dealer or a well-regarded indy (haven't got as far as price quotes yet).

Anybody done a similar upgrade and willing to report results?

If I buy new, it'll probably be an '09 or '10 FLSTN, and I will first try to sell the '05 before falling back to trade-in.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:08 AM
jrfernandez7
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PPBART
I've got a '05 FLSTN, purchased last year from a guy who literally spent more time washing/waxing than riding. I've put ~10K miles on the bike (odometer reads ~13,000, so it's virtually new) and must say it's one of my all-time favorite rides -- but there are issues. The engine is stock 88", carb'ed, and runs/sounds great, but the power is just not enough. This was really rubbed in recently when I spent 3 days riding in the Smokies! I could almost sense the bike breathing a sigh of relief when we got back to the (flat) Lousiana delta.

So, here's my question:

I'm considering either building up the engine, or just buying a new bike. The engine work would be done by either the local dealer or a well-regarded indy (haven't got as far as price quotes yet).

Anybody done a similar upgrade and willing to report results?

If I buy new, it'll probably be an '09 or '10 FLSTN, and I will first try to sell the '05 before falling back to trade-in.
If looking for more power you're not going to find it on a new bike! I have 07'fatboy and it's great to ride but not enough power for me either. I plan on doing big bore kit with head work this winter. It's much cheaper to do some type of performance build than a new bike that will most likely disappoint you.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:28 AM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you ride 2-up or solo , flat out fast paced or cruiser
here is a great solid receipe that works .

bore your cylinders
get a set of Baisley super street or hillside heads
37g or tw6 cam depends on compression
37g cam---9.6 compression
tw6 cam---10.1 compression
these two set up will have you in the 100/100 ball park for some great power and reliabilty.
or
same heads and bump the compression up some
roller rockers
T-Man 590 cam
you will be closer to the 110 hp/tq mark .
even slapping a MIK carb on there you will get even morre out of eithr of these builds.
Baisley heads JD's got some ready to go i beleive and hillside has a very quick turn around.

both top of the line guys to deeal with and these power packages work.

since you have a carb i would not trade it in

Old 08-02-2009, 11:30 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Definately, put the $$ in the motor! You won't be thrilled with the new bikes, unles you want to spend 35K on a CVO

Old 08-02-2009, 11:36 AM
kkinderen
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through the same decision and I should find out this week if I made the right one. I have an 03 FB with 70K on it. Because I love the bike I decided to go with upgrading the engine. I'm going with the S&S 106 hot set up, new cylinders and pistons, transmission, clutch, and a bunch of other little things. My first 500 should be this week. After 1000 it goes to the dyno but I think I'll know how I like the outcome within the first 100 miles.

If you decide to go with the engine upgrade, your biggest decision will be the shop working on the engine. Find someone with a great reputation that knows how to build an engine that will suit your riding style. The first few shops I went to had a plan before I finished saying I wanted a bigger engine. The one I selected spent hours with me going over how I ride and what options were available. He spent as much time talking longevity as he did power and torque.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good advice above. The new 96" in stock condition sho' isnt gonna up and run away from your 88.

Spend 3 grand on your motor. Follow SeDeluxes advice. You will be pleased as....Punch?

Old 08-02-2009, 05:57 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 for engine work over trade in.

I own an 06 FXSTS with an EFI 88 and an 07 Deuce with an EFI 96. Both have stage I complete. The 06 has a SERT and the 07 uses a DFO by Revtech. I think the butt Dyno tells me the Deuce has a bit more torque on the low end (and the HD specs support that assertion. At the same time its not enough for me to consider ditching the 88. Sure the extra gear is nice. Butt I can add a 6 speed to the 88 as well.

Stick with the 88 and improve on that.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:10 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Buying new will only give you a bunch of new disapointments. Take what you have and make it the way you want.
Ron

Old 08-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
Buying new will only give you a bunch of new disapointments. Take what you have and make it the way you want.
Ron
I like that line Babos!

Old 08-02-2009, 06:18 PM
jd8181
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engine without a doubt. a lot cheaper than a new bike and going to have a lot more power.

Quick Reply: Engine Upgrade vs New Bike?