Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals on a Custom

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:59 AM
UT Harley Rider
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals on a Custom

I ride with quite a few guys with baggers and touring models and like the look of the exhaust out both sides. On a recent long ride my mind started wandering and I began to think of what it would look like with true duals on a custom. Of course it would have to be a totally custom job due to the location of the oil tank. I can't believe that this is a new idea. Has anyone ever seen a custom with exhaust on both sides?

I was took a Ultra Classic for a spin during the HOG rally but didn't like the cramped feeling. I love my custom. I did notice that the exhaust crosses over under the frame. This got me thinking. It has the same engine and trans as mine. Why wouldn't it work. Just thinking.

Anyone got some ideas!

Old 07-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have 'em on my Springer Classic but really don't think they'd look at home on a Custom. The long and lean look of the Custom just doesn't lend itself to true duals imo. But I understand your thing for true duals... they have a classic look on the right bike. But that's just my opinion... I went through three sets of pipes until I found the ones I liked

Old 07-30-2009, 12:03 PM
mke125125
Road Captain

any set of true duals from vance and hines or samson that are designed for softail models will fit your bike. it doesnt have to be a "totally custom job" they are manufactured to fit your bike. but I agree with coaster they wouldnt look right on your scoot. they lend themselves more to the FL style bike.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:11 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I think true dual looks good on FL with long rear fender, bobtail fender? no comment.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:48 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A different type of duals, but ones that might look good on a Custom, are ones like Stratplexi has on his Deluxe: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/5163885-post2830.html

Old 07-30-2009, 03:41 PM
mike06train
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coaster
I have 'em on my Springer Classic but really don't think they'd look at home on a Custom. The long and lean look of the Custom just doesn't lend itself to true duals imo. But I understand your thing for true duals... they have a classic look on the right bike. But that's just my opinion... I went through three sets of pipes until I found the ones I liked
+1 That's a nostalgic look that really would not work on the custom, imo.
But hey, it's your ride. My buddy just put a nice set on his classic that you may get to work with some fabrication.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:38 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think it would be a problem getting a set made for a Heritage or Deluxe to fit. Except for the FL front end and longer rear fender its the same bike from the steering head back.
But I wouldn't do it. Those kinds of pipe setups only (IMHO) look 'right' on bike's with floorboards, a big fat front tire, and fat front end fork (FL) tubes.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:44 AM
UT Harley Rider
6th Gear
Default Thanks for the comments

All,

Thanks for the comments. It is great to get opinions from others. Not sure if I will go forward or not with the true duals. I just may because it would be unique. If I do I will post pictures. It would be nice just to get a set to put on to see how they look before installing permanently. I will keep searching as I am sure someone has done this before.

There are other things I want to do to her and new pipes are at the top of the list. Perhaps next year. I am working on redesigning the entire backend (liscense plate and brake light) as I just don't like the look of it. Citoriplus has given me some great ideas in that area. Most of my mods come during the winter months when we don't ride out here. Although I don't mind the cold it is the snow that becomes the problem.

Thanks and keep riding!
Damn! America is awesome.