Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXST Front end clonk

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:06 AM
eddyp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXST Front end clonk

Every time I go over a bump on the FXST or brake heavily I get a clonking sensation and a loud noise from the front end. I thought it was the bearing torque ( Bike has done 3000 miles )took it to the dealers who checked it for me and said all was OK. This noise is almost a bang and is starting to get to me and is spoilling my ride. Any ideas? New oil? new springs? I weigh 200 lbs

Old 07-28-2009, 06:39 AM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have the front end lowered? If so that may be your cause for the noise, my front end clunked when hitting bumps when it was lowered. Does the neck need a shot of grease?

Old 07-28-2009, 06:40 AM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Actually, my FXSTB makes somewhat of the same sound. Only over "sharp"-type bumps (not smooth ruts in the road, in other words). It's bothersome, but much like the "clunking" sound that the gears make, I think it's a "Harley thing".

Old 07-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I grease and adjust my steering head bearings every couple months regardless of miles. That clunk is typical of the sound these bikes make when the bearings start going dry and its outta adjustment.

I cant imagine a dealer telling you thats normal. My old 05' dosent do that cuz' I keep the fvcker greased and run my adjustment tighter than the manuals fall away recomendations.

You have a lift? And a service manual? and a grease gun?

Get the bike up on your home lift and fill the head bearing zerk with grease and adjust the fall away. Its in your service manual.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:48 AM
mke125125
Road Captain

I read somewhere on here a long time ago where the fx models had some sort of trouble regarding the headlight bucket causing a clunk.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

I heard somewhere of the clunking headlight bucket as well....

Still think the OP needs to fill that headset with grease and check that steering bearing tension. I run mine tight as with my Jockey shift I like it to be solid when I'm riding around and accelerating one handed.

My bike is 5 years old has almost 20K and it dosent clunk or clonk. The one time it did start clunking it was that derned steering bearing adjustment which caused the triple tree to be loose in the headset and you could literally hold the front brake and clunk back and forth.

Worth checking as its all of a 15 minute fix.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:58 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Definitely grease the bearings and tighten up the steering head and see what happens. I do the same as Chaz, grease it every couple of months. It takes 30 seconds to do. As does adjusting the steering head bearings tightness.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Smug
Tourer

Agree with Chaz 100% There is also a updated washer part# 45727-08 that goes under the neck nut (size 1 1/2") that's under the chrome cap. After you loosen the lower pinch bolts torque the nut to 80 ft.lbs.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

The dead giveaway with the OP's issue is certainly the clunk on braking. The only thing thats gonna do that really is his steering head bearings.

OP shoot a PM if you want any pages out of the service manual scanned and sent to ya. Some things are better done in your own garage. Thats one of em.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Smug
Tourer

Like to add that once everything is loose, the adjusting nut (looks like a little sprocket) is under the top triple tree. I tightened mine as far as it would go. Used a punch (between the teeth) and a small ball peen hammer.

Quick Reply: FXST Front end clonk