Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXST Front end clonk

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:39 PM
nova_SS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the front end off the ground and then grab the front forks and see if you feel any play by pushing and pulling the forks. Mine had the clunk from new and I had to tighten the steering nut just enough to take the play out. When I took it into the dealer for the 1K checkup I had them adjust the fall away.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:29 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Right on with the steering adjustment.. 21k on my 07and the only time I ever heard a clunk was when I hit a RR track at 55 and bottomed out, not at all like hearing it at every little bunp. That one bout took me out and it was on a state road, it was the worst I have ever crossed.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:12 AM
eddyp
Cruiser

Chaps really appreciate all your help, I think the dealer shafted me. I wasnt going to relay this but when I took the bike in I said I wanted a complete oil change and the bearings/clonk sorted.

When I took the bike in I had a very slight leak from the primary inspection cover I supplied the gasket that I had purchased a few weeks before from them ( was going to do it myself ). Anyway when I got home I noticed that the primary was still leaking. I called them to ask if they had changed the oil and gasket that I had given them! The reply was that " I only thought you wanted an annual service! " Needless to say they sent a van 60 miles to pick my bike up and do the gasket, they dropped it back the following day when I was out. When I got home I went to check on the bike only to find the primary inspection cover scratched. I have called the dealers several times but the servicing dept wont return the the calls.........I wont be going back. Sorry for the rant I just feel shafted.

You have all been a great help, its funny how I get more sense from strangers 5000 miles away. Thanks Ed

Old 07-29-2009, 05:59 AM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

^^^

Wow. Just... wow. Sorry to hear that EddyP.

I had one dealer tell me the headlamp was not rubber mounted--didn't know what they were talking about. In the 2007 FXSTC, they rubber mounted the headlamp. Some techs do not keep up with the latest changes and will try to BS their way through trouble. @#$%^&

The day I picked my NT up, I had one of the salesmen tell me that my bike didn't have the signal cut-off feature. Only Triumphs do...

???????WTF????????

Old 07-29-2009, 06:58 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i had that same thing, took 5 mechanics 3 hours to find it. the rear motor mount bolt was loose. this caused the click that shifted the weight of the motor when going over bump even when going slow. felt like the front end was going to fall off

Old 07-29-2009, 09:23 AM
tc88hog
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think there was a factory tech tip about this some time ago. The service manual says to tighten the fork stem nut to 70-80 ft/lbs. I think the tech tip said to tighten to 90 ft/lbs to resolve the issue. I would check with your dealer to confirm.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:08 PM
QuickThrottle
Intermediate

Bought my FXSTC with 2000 miles on it. Had a "clunk" in ther front end over bumps. The gentleman I purchased it from and I were talking and I mentioned it. He advised that his local Harley Dealer had checked it twice for that and said it was normal. I did a search for 07 FXSTC front end clunk and came up with a service bulletin from Harley reference it. Seems the head nut torque at the facory was set to 35 Ft.Lbs and now they want it torqued to between 70 & 80 and the washer replaced with a hardened one that does not have the lock tange on it like the original. I called 5 Harley Dealers that none ofwhich said they knew anything about this..... I ordered the washer, put it on, torqued the head nut to 80 Ft.Lbs. and applied lock tite to the head nut threads as the new washer did not have the lock tange to bend up to keep the head nut from rotating. Shot a little grease to it and has not clunked since. This was 4,000 miles ago.
My first Harley and this incident did not build much faith with me in the dealers wrenches. I'll do my own as best I can.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:57 PM
raaaaaa
Road Master

what i did on my 2007 nigh train was by accident, i took apart my front end to have the tripple trees powder coated and when I put it back together the noise was gone!!!!!

prior to that the dealer would just tighten the nut to get rid of it, and it would come back....

Old 07-29-2009, 09:05 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

find smoother roads

Old 07-29-2009, 09:15 PM
2wheeltom77
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same story for me. Started at 1000 miles. Got the bearings adjusted and it sort of went away. Took it to another dealer and they said they set the "fall away", saying it wasn't adjusted right. Bottom line I have 12,000 and the nosie hasn't returned. The bearings just need to be set right. Apparantly a lot of people don't know how to do that. I haven't personally done it yet, mainly because I haven't bought a jack. just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: FXST Front end clonk