Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXST Front end clonk

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Damage_Inc
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the exact same issue on my Night Train and it started around 1000Km.Anytime I hit anything that resembled a bump it made this noise. The Dealer checked the front end, tightened the steering head bearing,they dropped my fork oil and fully inspected my front fork tubes with no avail.One night I was in the garage looking at the bike and I started thinking about removing the front fender like some guys have done to see if I liked the look. Long story short, I liked the look but I didn't like a face full of spray when hitting any wet stuff so I put the fender back on. The very next time I went riding I noticed the clunk but more importantly I realized it didn't happen when the fender was off. I'm thinking that somehow it's transmitting vibration or moving around when the forks are compressing. I put some rubber washers between the fender bracket and the forks and the noise is gone, so far so good.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:53 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On my 07 fxstc , it was the bucket of the headlight hitting the bracket inside. A hit on the top of the headlight with your hand will duplicate the sound. Had to cut 1/4" off the bracket to give more room for the rubber mounts to move. Second source was the stock fuel cap. Changed that to kury flush mount. No more front end noises.
Ron

Old 07-28-2009, 11:01 AM
eddyp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks chaps, the noise is hard to describe its almost a bang. The dealer said they had checked the torque settings and they were OK, it looks as though they have greased it up too. Its not the headlight bucket. Its almost a notchy feel when I hit bumps or brake

Old 07-28-2009, 11:11 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eddyp
Thanks chaps, the noise is hard to describe its almost a bang. The dealer said they had checked the torque settings and they were OK, it looks as though they have greased it up too. Its not the headlight bucket. Its almost a notchy feel when I hit bumps or brake
How much slop do you have in the lower bushings? Sounds like somethings moving.
Ron

Old 07-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Damage_Inc
Tourer

Sounds are hard to describe... Mine was a metallic clunk/rattle that had me thinking something was loose up front. Every time I hit a bump I would think "What the hell is that noise?" With all the great help on this site I'm sure you'll track it down in no time.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:30 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

What strikes me about this thread and the poster's stories contained within is how many parts fail/become maladjusted on $17,000+ Harley's.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Damage_Inc
Tourer

That's another story but I agree. I did a few searches on here when I was trying to figure stuff out and quite a few guys had a myriad of problems with brand new machines.
Personally mine was no big deal, aggravating but minor.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Deadbroke_bootleg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the poet tails but my street bob made the same noise. Turned out to be the front motor mount isolater was worn out

Old 07-28-2009, 05:59 PM
WFA
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Eddy...do a search for "front end clunk" and/or "stearing-head bolts" and you find the likely answer. Thanks !!

Last edited by WFA; 07-29-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:35 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had exactly the same sound. I could feel it in the steering.

Two problems. Both are mentioned above
1. Steering head was loose. Took my dealer 5 minutes to fix it by tightening the steering head.
2. The headlight is rubber mounted and would bottom out on a hard bump. I tightened the bolts down inside the headlight housing and compressed the rubber washers pretty tight. Keeps the light from vibrating at night when riding also.

After doing both of these things, I have to really hit a hard bump before I feel or hear anything. It can be fixed--see a decent mechanic/technician and they will fix this quickly by tightening the steering head and getting the slop out of it. All you have to do to check this is to roll the bike forward slowly and grab a hand full of front brake. If its loose it will clunk.

I had one dealer tell me the headlamp was not rubber mounted--didn't know what they were talking about. In the 2007 FXSTC, they rubber mounted the headlamp. Some techs do not keep up with the latest changes and will try to BS their way through trouble. @#$%^&

Quick Reply: FXST Front end clonk