Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:46 AM
mtonyl
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Help?

Buddy has 04' Heritage, we are trying to change oil, is oil plug allen screw at back of case?

Where is the transmission drain plug, I'm assuming primary drain is the same as my Road King and Ultra?

Also oil quantity is it 2.8 or 3.0 qts?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Solitaree1
Road Master

my 07 is a hex head, but has an allen opening in it. I would suggest if he plans on wrenching on his own bike, as he should, he purchase a service manual.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:59 AM
mtonyl
Intermediate

I agree, we just ordered one, but we are trying to get this changed today to do some riding any help ASAP would be appreciated.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:30 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,184 Likes on 1,825 Posts

The oil drain plug us under the oil tank on the frame. If you are talking about the plug at the bottom on the engine case, don't remove it. The drain plug has both a hex head (5/8") and an allen hole (I think it's a 3/16) inside the hex. The tranny drain is between the shocks and has the same type of drain plug. The primary drain is on the bottom of the primary and uses an allen wrench.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:33 PM
BlackDenimBob
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChromeJunkie
The oil drain plug us under the oil tank on the frame. If you are talking about the plug at the bottom on the engine case, don't remove it. The drain plug has both a hex head (5/8") and an allen hole (I think it's a 3/16) inside the hex. The tranny drain is between the shocks and has the same type of drain plug. The primary drain is on the bottom of the primary and uses an allen wrench.
Takes a 1/4" allen wrench on all my plugs...

Old 07-26-2009, 12:49 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

put 2 quarts in first as in the esofttail some oil stays in the crank and lines. warm it up for a few minutes then look at dip stick add as needed. try not to over fill it as it might blow out the dip stick and could cause oil to go all over right side of bike.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Click these links for a pictorial on how to do oil change ... Also has pics of location of drains.

http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.PRIMARY.HTML
http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.ENGINE.HTML
http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.GEARBOX.HTML

Old 07-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A few tips. The O rings that Harley wants a couple of bucks for can be purchased at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. The size is #41 in the plumbing department...a dozen for around a buck fifty. A mirror works great for locating the trans drain plug. I use a 1/4 Allen with a five inch shank to line up and replace the plug, then tighten it down with a 5/8 socket. The trans fill plug is a 3/8 Allen. My TC88B primary drain plug is a Torx 40...yours may be different.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:55 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,184 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackDenimBob
Takes a 1/4" allen wrench on all my plugs...

Ok, I stand corrected on the allen size. I never use it anymore since it is easier for me just to use a 5/8 socket to remove the drain plug.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Deuce55
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rakthi, Dorkman; some of the best, most straight-forward info on changing the 3 oils and filter that I have seen. Excellent job. Gets right to the point. Just one question; in the pics it looks like your side stand happens to hold the bike fairly upright. What is the requirements with that?

BTW, I bought the fixmyhog DVDs. Takes the guy way too long to get to the real info that you need.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Help?