Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any softails runnin HQ cams?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Milty
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Any softails runnin HQ cams?

I am adding HQ-TC-500-HC , black ops lifters, and SE adjustable pushrods, I'll change the bearings while I'm at it..then on to the dyno for a good tune.
Have an o8 Crossbones. Forcewinder, D&D Fatcat and a race tuner.
I need some more ummph as a o8 Sporty pulled away from me the other day and I haven't quite gotten over it yet. Plus I work with the guy so that makes it worse.
Also:
I am also looking for any info regarding a 30 tooth baker pulley. I have done a search and most of the info pertains to touring..
If I get a new trans pulley do I have to change the rear pulley as well to a 70 tooth one.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just add some headwork to that and you should be around 100hp, that should do it

Old 07-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That 500 is a nice bolt in cam that can run on stock un fiddled with heads.

Have you maybe considered bumping the compression just a wee bit? When I had my heads ported and milled along with the thinner gasket my bike came to life. It went from cool it pulls strong to pulling with new found angry authority.

Sporties are gonna walk away from us big twin guys until we get up around the 100/100 Range.

Man I aint heard nothing bad about those HQ cams tho. Should be cool. A before and after dyno run would be cool to share as well.

Oh Yeah, GunMetal the inhouse master cam grind guy in 9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2 You aint here yet Gunnie? Slipping in yer old age.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Hammer107
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the HQ-600 Josey Wales cam in my Train...nothing but good things to say and it acts exactly as described.

HQ is first class all the way.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:23 PM
GunmetalBlueNT
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Milty
I am adding HQ-TC-500-HC , black ops lifters, and SE adjustable pushrods, I'll change the bearings while I'm at it..then on to the dyno for a good tune.
Have an o8 Crossbones. Forcewinder, D&D Fatcat and a race tuner.
I need some more ummph as a o8 Sporty pulled away from me the other day and I haven't quite gotten over it yet. Plus I work with the guy so that makes it worse.
Also:
I am also looking for any info regarding a 30 tooth baker pulley. I have done a search and most of the info pertains to touring..
If I get a new trans pulley do I have to change the rear pulley as well to a 70 tooth one.
LOL, well expect the Sporty to still pull away quite easily, the 500 HQ is kind of a mild cam still.............are you really hooked on HQ cams?

Old 07-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Milty
Road Master

Don't know if I am hooked on HQ but my local HD mechanic was talkin me into the SE204 or the SE211. SO... I Looked at some others besides SE. I emailed some questions to HQ and they suggested the 500 for stock heads..

Old 07-23-2009, 05:15 AM
I CUT 1
Tourer

The SE211 cam will need a bump-up in the compression department. The S/E book also has a sprocket and chain kit for the primary, I've been thinking about trying it out myself. The really bad news for you is, in the end that sporty just caused you to spend about 3 grand.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:45 AM
Hammer107
Road Master

Originally Posted by Milty
Don't know if I am hooked on HQ but my local HD mechanic was talkin me into the SE204 or the SE211. SO... I Looked at some others besides SE. I emailed some questions to HQ and they suggested the 500 for stock heads..
Do it right. Get some heads and run a cam like an HQ575 or even the 600 that I run. The 600 is a fairly big cam though and you need compression to make it work.

The 575 will work with 10 to 1 or even slightly lower if I recall correctly.

That Sporty wouldn't pull away from you with a Cam and heads set up right but you are fighting power to weight. You probably need 100+ hp ish to stay ahead of him.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Milty
Road Master

As far as spending 3000..It is inevitable, just happened sooner than later. I would maybe like to port and polish this winter. I thought that this cam would be a good starting point.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The issue there bro is not having a cam that is gonns need replaced if you wanna get rowdier.

Go rowdier up front and save some coin.

I have a set of 211's in my bike. 10:5-1 Comp. Back when I could keep both hands on the bars I could reel in a sporty by 2nd gear and slowly pull on him. Not by much though!!

I could also spank my neighbors Mean Streak by a good 5-6 bike lenghts in a 1st through 4th WFO battle.

I inherited the 211's cams in my bike. They are soft off the bottom. It had 211's on a cookie cutter 95" kit so I had the heads milled and ported and di some other stuff to make compression so they would work correctly. The headwork and added compression made it way stronger everywhere. A different bike for sure.

I tried to make it stronger off the bottom with a 2-1 pipe which helped in the midrange substancially but the 211 is still soft til about 2800-3000 RPM.

Definately better choices out there than team Eaglet. I will probably be swapping out my 211's this winter for something from Woods or Andrews.

Last edited by Chazmanian; 07-23-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Any softails runnin HQ cams?