Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front and Rear Brakes!!! Oh $hit!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:39 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Front and Rear Brakes!!! Oh $hit!!!

Just wanted to post this here since i hang out in the softail section mainly...
Well my story begins when i took my ride over to a indy and had them install my new wheel and rear chrome sprocket cover due to i have no jack to do it myself. I don't even have a place to put it even if i had one. So i've been riding it for the last few weeks and noticed my bike was tracking funny on the freeway at about 65+ mph so then i took it to were i purchased the bike (Blue Spring HD in KC,MO.) maybe a warrenty issue. And on the way there my rear brake pads flew half way out of my calipers so then i had no rear brakes...holy $hit....i thought. Well should i turn around and go home or make it another 5 miles to the dealer? Well i decided to procede to the dealer and they fixed me up no problems and realigned my rear wheel correctly. Thank god nothing bad happened... So today i went for about a 150 mile ride and noticed a METAL on METAL sound on my front end (brakes) which was getting louder and louder...OH $HIT..i thought again...not the front now? I looked down and i couldn't see were it was comming from. So every stop we made today i kept searching for my problem. I then noticed that the inner part of my calipers towards the hub were rubbing directly against my rotors. I thought to my-self...WHAT A COMPLETE IDIOT!!!! The indy put incorrect spacers on my bike!!!! My front end could have siezed up completely and bye bye to me and my OL. Well i thought get my bike to the nearest dealer which was GAIL's HD in Belton,MO. I arrived there at around 5:15 they close at 6:00 and they got my bike right in and up on a lift. As i could see they were all getting ready to leave in thier service dept.. Well they fixed it!!! And my bike now tracks perfectly at 65+. I was expecting to pay a couple of hundred$$$ to get it fixed. And i couldn't belive it. NO CHARGE!!!! So to anybody in the KC area i highly recommend GAIL's HD in Kansas City(Belton), MO. I've already called some people who recommended me to this indy and told them what happened. They couldn't believe it. I hope the word gets around about this one. This guy could have caused some serious injury to me as well as others in the future. He should NEVER work on another bike again. UNBELIEVABLE!!! THANK YOU to the service manager and to the mech. who did the work. As i was leaving i asked if i could atleast tip the mech who worked on my ride. So i slipped him a $50 dollar bill which he tried to decline it, but i turned around and walked away.

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 07-19-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:57 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

OMFG! Should I say you have good luck or bad luck? Glad that you are ok, it's hard to trust mechanic these days, don't seem to care anymore. I can't trust anyone but myself, do my own repair unless I have no choice.
Take it easy!

Old 07-19-2009, 03:00 AM
Mrawsome21
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my bike serviced about a year ago at Gail's while I was enroute to Fort Riley, KS. Good people there. I was very happy with their service department.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:05 AM
jessultra
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

wow !!

Old 07-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear nothing bad came from this! I would confront the Indy and let them know what happen. Maybe he was using someone that was not knowledgable enough to be doing any work.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:34 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crap! Glad to hear everything worked out okay, but I'd be pissed. Have you talked to the indy who did the work?

Old 07-19-2009, 01:37 PM
utz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would def call the indy and let him know that is crazy I would be on the phone like a nut but thank god nothing happened and its fixed.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:23 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ElSupremo
Holy crap! Glad to hear everything worked out okay, but I'd be pissed. Have you talked to the indy who did the work?

I have tried to call but only get voice mail. Have not gotten any return calls...But i have phoned another guy who takes his bike to him im sure he will tell him..lets hope...Everything is fixed on my bike now so what more can be done? I do know one thing...There's no way in hell he'll touch my ride again. All i think i can do is to inform others who he does work for and to tell them about his crappy work. The guys name is Andy out of Greenwood, MO. and the sad thing is every time i have dropped off my bike i see atleast 6-10 bikes there who he is servicing...

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 07-19-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Fireslayer
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you dodged the bullet! Gail's is my favorite dealer out of all the KC area ones. Their service and appreciation of business is noticably higher than all the other dealers in the area--GAIL has trained her staff very well! BS is my least favorite.......BTW, very sweet bike you have. I really dig it.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:36 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,083 Likes on 562 Posts

Thank God you caught the problem before something tragic happened.

If you have the desire and the time, I would recommend getting a jack, service manual and start doing at least some of your own work. It can be a lot of fun and you will get to know your scoot in the process.

Quick Reply: Front and Rear Brakes!!! Oh $hit!!!