Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ENGINE MODS... Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Skin & Crossbones
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ENGINE MODS... Worth it?

Was thinking, after the new pipes, if aftermarket powertrain mods are really worth the coin, downtime & trouble?

Old 07-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Archer1968
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a question only you can answer. some, may think it's worth it, other's like me don't. I enjoy it just the way it is. Sorry not much help, just my 2 cents.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:20 AM
kkinderen
Road Master

That's a hard question to answer. It depends on how you feel about the bike now, what more you want to get out of it and how much you are willing to spend to get there.

My bike is in the shop now having a S&S 106" Hot Setup kit installed along with new clutch and transmission. Before that, it was pretty stock except the AC and exhaust. It felt and ran great but after 70K I was either considering a new bike or upgrading this one just for something different. I've been told I'm paying way to much for the work but decided to go for it anyway.

While at the shop they let me take out a 95" build. It was fun and heading in the right direction but to tell you the truth it didn't feel too much different than my stock 88. I'm hoping the 106 will put some excitement back into the mix without making it unrideable for commutes.

I suspect most people wouldn't say much if they spent a bunch of money on an upgrade they didn't like. If they like it - we hear a lot about it on the forum. I spend a lot of time looking over the sticky thread about dyno numbers. Unfortunately, I see more dyno graphs than descriptions of upgrades.

Another thing I did was to search for an engine builder that would take a lot of time talking with me and help guide me to a build. I needed to trust him. I spent about 6 hours with the last guy and we talked about how I rode, what my expectations were and what the options were. I came in with a bunch of questions and even some product names I was interested in. In the end, we had a whole package laid out and a quote I could live with. I knew exactly what parts were being used, how he was going to do the break-in, how it should dyno and how it should feel on the road.

The bike just went into the shop last Tuesday. I should get it back around August 13. At that time I'll be able to say if it was worth it for me.

Good luck in your research!

Old 07-18-2009, 09:35 AM
yoseppi
Tourer

kkinderen did it right with the engine work,

After you put 50-80K miles on a bike, and you consider having the engine rebuilt, you might as well upgrade a little. Makes sense if you still like the style of bike, and by that time you'll pretty much have it all set up the way you like it.

I always thought it wasn't worth it for those people that upgraded to a 103 or a 110 kit within the first 2,000 miles. Kinda premature when you could have gotten so much enjoyment out of the stock engine, the upgraded when it was time for a rebuild. I've ridden 103's and 110's and they are a bit faster, but for just upgrading for the hell of it, just to say you have a bigger engine, it isn't really worth the money and downtime to me.

After full pipes, a remap, air cleaner, bike sounds great and is a blast to ride. I'd rather wait till it needed a rebuild.

That's just me, cause sometimes I always think it's kinda like a dick measuring contest to see who has the biggest bore kit. But from the outside, you usually can't tell, and they sound close to a stock bike.

Just my $0.02 on unnecessary upgrades.

Originally Posted by kkinderen
That's a hard question to answer. It depends on how you feel about the bike now, what more you want to get out of it and how much you are willing to spend to get there.

My bike is in the shop now having a S&S 106" Hot Setup kit installed along with new clutch and transmission. Before that, it was pretty stock except the AC and exhaust. It felt and ran great but after 70K I was either considering a new bike or upgrading this one just for something different. I've been told I'm paying way to much for the work but decided to go for it anyway.

While at the shop they let me take out a 95" build. It was fun and heading in the right direction but to tell you the truth it didn't feel too much different than my stock 88. I'm hoping the 106 will put some excitement back into the mix without making it unrideable for commutes.

I suspect most people wouldn't say much if they spent a bunch of money on an upgrade they didn't like. If they like it - we hear a lot about it on the forum. I spend a lot of time looking over the sticky thread about dyno numbers. Unfortunately, I see more dyno graphs than descriptions of upgrades.

Another thing I did was to search for an engine builder that would take a lot of time talking with me and help guide me to a build. I needed to trust him. I spent about 6 hours with the last guy and we talked about how I rode, what my expectations were and what the options were. I came in with a bunch of questions and even some product names I was interested in. In the end, we had a whole package laid out and a quote I could live with. I knew exactly what parts were being used, how he was going to do the break-in, how it should dyno and how it should feel on the road.

The bike just went into the shop last Tuesday. I should get it back around August 13. At that time I'll be able to say if it was worth it for me.

Good luck in your research!

Old 07-18-2009, 02:52 PM
GunmetalBlueNT
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skin & Crossbones
Was thinking, after the new pipes, if aftermarket powertrain mods are really worth the coin, downtime & trouble?
Ask urself how u like the stock engines performance after u add pipes an an AC and a proper tune. To someone like me, the TC engine needed to see its full potential, so I did a 114" which puts down 160hp/140tq. Now Im happy. Very little downtime since I do all my own work and very much worth it.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mods

I have a couple of test bikes here so people can see what a difference mods can make besides the obvious more power. Things like how easy they start, how quick they rev, street manors, and how much cooler they run. For instance one of my old boogy buddies came in with his 05 Street Glide a month ago and said he wanted to get more power so I let him ride the 98" 01 Dyna- stage 4. He came back and said that it was awesome but he didn't need that much power. We settled on a stage 2-1/2 set of heads and a set of 98" pistons. Everytime I talk to him he mentions how much he loves the bike now and that it is exactly what he was after.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:44 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You in Long Island contact Rosa
http://www.rosascycle.com/
this guy has a proven good reputation and he wont BS ya. delt with him a few times and i spoke to him plenty.

heres a few more

http://www.jdscycleworks.com/

http://www.hillsidecycle.com/

stick with the local guys this way if there is a problem they will back up the work.

Guaranteed to put a smile on your face and their stuff is top shelf no second place here
G

Old 07-18-2009, 06:26 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Go to the Dynos for Softails sticky thread, page 1 in softail section , post no 1 and see and read what the 26's did for my Heritage, then you decide.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:42 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

For me, installing cams myself on the cheap was well worth it. Especially when riding 2up. Spending more for BB kit, head work... not worth the money. Although, when more miles are on the bike, it will become a 95" with the cam Also, a camed 88" will provide better performance than a 95" BB kit.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:19 PM
GunmetalBlueNT
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
For me, installing cams myself on the cheap was well worth it. Especially when riding 2up. Spending more for BB kit, head work... not worth the money. Although, when more miles are on the bike, it will become a 95" with the cam Also, a camed 88" will provide better performance than a 95" BB kit.
Hmmmm, I think thats debatable with all else being equal(intake and exhaust mods done). There is no replacement for displacement. A 95 or 97" kit will give some great low end torque and midrange with the stock cam...........

Quick Reply: ENGINE MODS... Worth it?