Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ENGINE MODS... Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Skin & Crossbones
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yoseppi
kkinderen did it right with the engine work,

After you put 50-80K miles on a bike, and you consider having the engine rebuilt, you might as well upgrade a little. Makes sense if you still like the style of bike, and by that time you'll pretty much have it all set up the way you like it.
I figure after a few thousand miles, and haviing to tear down the engine anyway you'd be right... but around these parts, guys are dumping TENS of thousands into mods that, frankly, I think just get them bragging rights. It's comonplace here to buy a new truck, and drive from the dealer right into a custome exhaust shop and rip out the stainelss steel exhause for headers and flowmasters...

Me, I think it's crazy.

Tonight I stopped by a local watering hole and there were a ton of bikes, saw a nice '04 fatty with get this... 450 miles on it. Guy out more $$$ into mods than I PAID for my Xbones. Sure, he'd be faster (I'm NOT as speed freak) and quite a bit louder and as for turn-headmanship, he definately had it going on but for chrissakes, it's a motorcycle, not a trophy!

I always thought it wasn't worth it for those people that upgraded to a 103 or a 110 kit within the first 2,000 miles. Kinda premature when you could have gotten so much enjoyment out of the stock engine, the upgraded when it was time for a rebuild. I've ridden 103's and 110's and they are a bit faster, but for just upgrading for the hell of it, just to say you have a bigger engine, it isn't really worth the money and downtime to me.

After full pipes, a remap, air cleaner, bike sounds great and is a blast to ride. I'd rather wait till it needed a rebuild.

That's just me, cause sometimes I always think it's kinda like a dick measuring contest to see who has the biggest bore kit. But from the outside, you usually can't tell, and they sound close to a stock bike.

Just my $0.02 on unnecessary upgrades.

Last edited by Skin & Crossbones; 07-19-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:21 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I did three things to my 07 FXSTC when I got it. Installed the SE breather about $120, added a Cobra Fi2000R programmer about $230 and drilled out the baffle in the slip-on mufflers $0

The increase in performance was outstanding for the $350 that I spent. The bike would stay with my VTX 110 cu. in. Honda with no problem

Latter I did add an oil cooler.