Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ENGINE MODS... Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:28 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i like my 103 build- way better than the 96 with redshift 575 cams

Old 07-18-2009, 11:59 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GunmetalBlueNT
Hmmmm, I think thats debatable with all else being equal(intake and exhaust mods done). There is no replacement for displacement. A 95 or 97" kit will give some great low end torque and midrange with the stock cam...........
Thats a really cute rhyme So are you sayin a 96" will outperform my lil 88" with 21's bolt in cam

Old 07-19-2009, 12:06 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
i like my 103 build- way better than the 96 with redshift 575 cams

Maybe 26's would have worked better in a 96"? Not uncommon to mismatch components, even with a simple cam install and stock ci and compression...

Something for the OP to think about if he chooses to do a build. Whether it be a cam upgrade only or a full build.

Last edited by KumaRide; 07-19-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:12 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

It really depends on what you are looking for, to be honest, once you gain 10hp, you want another 10, never enough lol. You can start from pipes, air flow, tuner all the way to cams, piston and head job, range from $1000-$5000. Ask yourself some questions, how much power do you need? How much do you want to spend? For me I am happy with air flow, pipes, tuner and cams, do I want more power? Yes, of course. Do I want to spend more money? No, not for a while. If money is not a problem, I should have put in an S&S motor without even thinking.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:44 AM
hdokie
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

128, what cams did you go with?

Old 07-19-2009, 12:46 AM
GunmetalBlueNT
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Thats a really cute rhyme So are you sayin a 96" will outperform my lil 88" with 21's bolt in cam
21's are actually very mild cams, very similiar to stock. With all else being equal I would take a bolt on big bore kit FIRST over a set of mild cams on an 88".

Old 07-19-2009, 08:14 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by GunmetalBlueNT
21's are actually very mild cams, very similiar to stock. With all else being equal I would take a bolt on big bore kit FIRST over a set of mild cams on an 88".
So thats why my bike pulls much better at all rpm's when compared to a stock cam - because 21's are "very similar to stock". Interesting that the specs also dictate that 21's are "very similar to stock"... Even a casual visual inspection with my poor eye sight comparing the two cams tells a different story than yours... lol Not to mention that guys get ~100lbs tq with 21's in 95" with NO headwork.... Sorry, not buyin it

http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=11806.0

OP, if nothing else, be sure to do lots of research and on more than one forum if you decide to do a build!

Attached Thumbnails ENGINE MODS... Worth it?-tw21.jpg  

Last edited by KumaRide; 07-19-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
So thats why my bike pulls much better at all rpm's when compared to a stock cam - because 21's are "very similar to stock". Interesting that the specs also dictate that 21's are "very similar to stock"... Even a casual visual inspection with my poor eye sight comparing the two cams tells a different story than yours... lol Not to mention that guys get ~100lbs tq with 21's in 95" with NO headwork.... Sorry, not buyin it

http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=11806.0

OP, if nothing else, be sure to do lots of research and on more than one forum of you decide to do a build!

Ummmmm.....Amen to this post!

Research is critical. Research is not just reading off the cuff forum stuff without solid fact based data to substanciate.

Unless you are able to buy parts back of cost and do all your work yourself anything motor related is inherently expensive. In these tough times a man needs to stretch that dollar and get the best bang he can for the buck!!!!

Old 07-19-2009, 09:37 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my engine built before I took delivery.
I'm running a very reliable performing 95 kit.

I've had some blood curdling fast rice bikes before I bought this one. Trust me, Harleys are not fast, even well built Harleys. Stock Harleys are just plain poor. So you might as well look at what kind of load you are carrying, and build accordingly. I'm very happy with my simple build.
If I were to do it all over again, I probably would have left it as an 88", and installed a Magnacharger on it with some head work. That would have been cool. If I can find the right builder/tuner with supercharger experience around here, I might still do a 8.5 to 1 and a 95" kit with a blower.

Last edited by George C; 07-19-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:38 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

OP- You need to decide what your priorities are, and you need to research a lot. Look at dyno sheets. Talk to riders and builders. Don't believe the outrageous claims, and remember that there's no such thing as a free lunch.

While a high-compression, big-inch build may sound big and bad, if it doesn't fit your riding style, then it's not going to be any fun. Make an honest assessment of your riding style and needs, and go from there. A well-built 95" motor will deliver 100-105 horsepower and torque, and it'll do it reliably on pump gas. That's more than enough to tour two-up through the mountains, and rip around when you're riding solo. Any more than that and you start having issues with everything behind the motor (clutches, spoked wheels, etc), and you start getting really expensive.

Not only that, but if you're going to be commuting in all sorts of weather, I'm gonna guess you don't want a peaky, tire-smoking motor.

Quick Reply: ENGINE MODS... Worth it?