Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 foot 9 and want a HD, which model?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Micahdogg
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 foot 9 and want a HD, which model?

Sporties and V-rods are out of the question. I like the "sportier" bikes though so I'm really only interested in a Softail (primarily) or a Dyna.

Does anyone know which model has the most room between the seat and pegs? I can't imagine that a Nightrain with Tallboy seat and Kuri 3-1/4 controls has the exact same room in this distance as a Dyna Low Rider with Tallboy seat and Kuri 3-1/4 controls.

As much as I like Nightrains, if I could get even one more inch it would be enough to put me on a Dyna.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

I find the Dyna's fit me with a little more leg room. Night Train vs Fat Bob, when I did the comparison. Thow some 3+ extended forward controls (stay away from floorboards for room IMO). Drags or apes will keep your arms from being cramped up.

At 6'9" your going to be big on an HD. Do a search here there are a few others who are height advantaged and have made some mods to accomidate.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Schaub85
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats your inseam? you could get a train, put a C&C solo(1 inch), 3" extension plates and extended controls. Sounds scary but its been done.

I have a 34" inseam, I'm running the solo seat and 3" extension plates. Pretty good position for me.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:08 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

You have several choices. I am a foot shorter than you, but people who are taller are always asking how to get more comfortable. I suggest a model with floorboards, get some Harley Goodies extensions, HD brand extended pans, or some banana boards with Harley goodies as this will give quite a bit more leg room. Add some ape hangers and a lower seat for more leg room and some sort of highwya pegs when you really want to stretch out and you should be good.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:42 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Jon Runyan (#69 Eagles) is 6'7" and owns 4 bikes. He says he likes his RK the best.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:58 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Brother, I'm 6'3" and barely ride comfortable on the FatBoy, which has floorboards. Now you should really consider your options because movin' your floorboards forward (like I've done) or out-wards (which makes absolutely no sense unless you want to make room for your stomach spreading your legs and not stretching them) ain't gonna help at all. Forward highway pegs are no solution for your needs, those are that "higway pegs". A real solution would be something like forward controls, stretching + complete control of the bike in a comfortable riding position.

I've also replaced the seat and changed the handlebars in order to get a more comfy ride, just not there yet.

Think about it and look around you don't want to toss the cash on a bike + "solutions" that you're gonna end up selling because didn't filled your needs...

Mimo.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:13 PM
url8
Road Master

Originally Posted by mimo
Brother, I'm 6'3" and barely ride comfortable on the FatBoy, which has floorboards. Now you should really consider your options because movin' your floorboards forward (like I've done) or out-wards (which makes absolutely no sense unless you want to make room for your stomach spreading your legs and not stretching them) ain't gonna help at all. Forward highway pegs are no solution for your needs, those are that "higway pegs". A real solution would be something like forward controls, stretching + complete control of the bike in a comfortable riding position.

I've also replaced the seat and changed the handlebars in order to get a more comfy ride, just not there yet.

Think about it and look around you don't want to toss the cash on a bike + "solutions" that you're gonna end up selling because didn't filled your needs...

Mimo.

Mimo....Jeez that was some statement...got a good chuckle out of that...Thanks!!

Old 07-13-2009, 06:39 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm 6'3'' and IMO, the Fat Bob is probably the most comfortable bike right off the showroom floor, followed closely (very closely) by the Rocker. I'd start with those . If you can find a Wide Glide, they are VERY comfortable for tall riders too, or perhaps wait until the 2010s are released to see what they offer. Supposedly the Wide Glide is returning.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:45 PM
saintslax11
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Wide glide is your best bet. My dad has one and I ride it sometimes and it has plenty of leg room. He has mini apes and a big plush seat.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:53 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I like jasonL's idea of a looking for a Wideglide. They are a bit better for taller riders than most of the Softails, like the Nightrain or Custom.
Your just going to have to look around at the dealer's near you to see if any have a leftover or a low mileage trade in avalable.
I know they are still around, the dealer in Syracuse NY still had an 07 on the floor the last time I was there about a month or so ago.

Quick Reply: 6 foot 9 and want a HD, which model?