Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with exhaust install

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:57 AM
MoonCricket
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with exhaust install

I pulled of my pipes (vh bss) to do a little work to my bike, now when I went to re install the pipes today I noticed the pipes will not seat inside the exhaust ports with the new exhaust gaskets installed, instead the pipes just barely butt up to the gaskets. Do the pipes seat inside the exhaust ports and crush the gaskets when torqued down or do I have the wrong size exhaust gaskets. I have the stock hd gaskets with the tapered side facing the pipes. i am worried about exhaust leaks. also it seems like the best way is to install the pipes is to first the pipes, then install the heat sheilds. am I off base, any advise...Thnx

Old 07-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Per the service manual:
Get the gaskets all the way in and seated in the jug, get your pipes in their respective holes and start with the upper nut. Just get it finger tight then do the lower nut just barely tight at 15 inch Lbs. Then do the upper at 100-120 inch pounds, and back down to the lower also at 100-120 inch pounds.

Repeat on back jug.

Do the whole deal backwards of install. I would put them on sans the heat shields as well until they are on the bike.

What exhuast gaskets are you using?

Old 07-12-2009, 11:15 AM
chunks
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmanian

Do the whole deal backwards of install. I would put them on sans the heat shields as well until they are on the bike.

What exhuast gaskets are you using?
The install instructions that came with my BSS clearly indicate that the heat shields should be installed on the pipes but with the clamps left loose BEFORE putting the pipes on the bike.

Then, once the pipes are on and torqued in, tighten all the clamps down.

I did this last weekend (using the exact torquing method you described) and it was a breeze. They went right on, and no leaks. I would hate to do it the other way around trying to get those clamps in place seems to me it would be a real pain in the ***.

My 2 cents.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

I had a set of bss on my bike as well.....Looking back I had the guy building my motor put them on. I took them off and sold them.

I cant remember how the clamps were on so you would have a better recall of that particular pipe.

If at all possible I always try and install my pipes ssans the heat shields so I dont get em' scratched up and uglified.

Emphasis on "If at all possible"!!

Old 07-12-2009, 09:49 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master

narrow portion of the gaskets facing the hole in the cylinders....gaskets need to be pressed in with your fingers and flush....if you already jammed them in the wrong way I would start over with new gaskets because it would bother me knowing that they "might" be okay....

Old 07-12-2009, 09:56 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

make sure old gaskets are outta there too

Old 07-12-2009, 10:20 PM
chunks
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RocketRocker
narrow portion of the gaskets facing the hole in the cylinders.
You have that backwards, dude.

From the 2009 Softail service manual:

"Install new gaskets in both the front and rear cylinder heads with the tapered side facing the exhaust pipes"

Last edited by chunks; 07-12-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:23 PM
MoonCricket
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am have problems getting the pipe into the exhaust port with the new stock gaskets installed

Old 07-12-2009, 10:37 PM
chunks
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MoonCricket
i am have problems getting the pipe into the exhaust port with the new stock gaskets installed
The headers pipes arent going to go into the port as far as they were before because the gaskets get smashed in when the clamp gets torqued down.
Your new gaskets arent smashed down yet, so the pipes arent going to be able to go in as far as they were when you took them off.

Just make sure the gaskets are in facing the right way (tapered side facing OUT) and get the nuts started on the threads.

Then torque them down using the exact method described by Chazmanian in the second post of this thread.

If you dont have a torque wrench that can do inch/pounds, borrow one or take the bike to someone that can do it.

I just did this a week ago on my own Fat Boy. Its a walk in the park.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:02 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,234 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Try using the flat Screamin Eagle gaskets and be sure to get all of the old gasket out.

Quick Reply: Help with exhaust install