Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling Baffles..harmful?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 04:43 PM
cjmilez
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling Baffles..harmful?

Hi, My friend just bought a new Herfitage and had the Screaming Eagle slip-ons put on at the dealership as well... We've had our bikes for about a month now and she decided to pull out her baffles for a deeper tone. Her bike is EFI (fuel injected) and she hasn't installed the Screaming Eagle Air Assembly, or ECM download..JUST Pulled out the baffled.. She took it for a quick run last night and she said it was fine with speed (not sluggish) and it didn't snap..crackle..pop..
Is it harmful at all to the engine? In the long run? Are there any cons??...besides serious blueing under the heat shields..lol....
She keeps telling me to yank 'em out, but I don't want to ruin anything or overheat???? I have the Cycle Shacks (Softail Deluxe EFI) with removable baffles and they sound great...yea, I am curious, but is it worth it or NOT?
Thanks alot~
Candace

Old 05-22-2006, 09:35 PM
ChopperHammer666
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pulling Baffles..harmful?

You have to retune the computer. It will run too lean. The easiest way to tune is with a power commander and a K&N air filter. I was told too lean will hurt the motor.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:53 AM
mrghos
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ChopperHammer666

You have to retune the computer. It will run too lean. The easiest way to tune is with a power commander and a K&N air filter. I was told too lean will hurt the motor.

I have heard the exact same thing. I dont think most people "in the know" would recommend pulling the baffles. I pulled mine on my 99 Train before I got rid of it. It sounded great but I would get popping and no back pressure frequently...

Old 05-23-2006, 11:20 AM
gevange
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did the same with mine and with the stock air cleaner smothering the engine you really are not getting any more combustion just getting a lot more noise. If you want to really check this out go down a highway for about a mile at 50MPH and hit the kill switch and pull in the clutch at the same time and pull over and pull out a spark plug and see how it's burning (Be Careful, not at rush hour) If you want put in the baffels and do it again. (This is all free keep in mind) and compare.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:18 PM
05 DELUXE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i pulled my baffles on my short shots. i havd to re program the power commander so the bike would run richer. so far no problems (crossing fingers). big sounds awesome, runs great!

Old 05-23-2006, 12:19 PM
cjmilez
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for all your help everyone!! I showed my friend the post you sent and last night we put the baffles back in! Much easier putting them in than pulling them out..lol. I told her to save up some $$ and do it riht, get a full exhaust (like V&H, Samson, etc), get the air kit, and either a download, commander, or tuner!!!

Old 05-23-2006, 11:01 PM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts

Sounds like your on the right track , Ride safe !