Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard restarting

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009 | 10:25 PM
Stcbob
|
3rd Gear
Default Hard restarting

Hi,
I'm a new owner of an 07 Softail custom. Here's the problem. I start it in the morning, ride about 1.5 miles and stop to get a paper on my way to work. When I try to restart the bike, it often turns over 6 or 7 times before firing up. Any idea what the problem could be? I have an extended warranty so I'm not to concerned, but I don't want to get stranded either. Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Old 07-10-2009 | 10:56 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

is it a stocker or are you running some additional compression via pistons or milled heads?

Milled or hi comp pistons at 10:5-1 or beyond go get some comp releases machined into the heads or buy a new starter every year or two.

Is it just a tired old battery that spent the winter not on a trickle charger?

Pull your seat off and check the battery with a multimeter.

Take to dealership if not inclined.

Old 07-10-2009 | 11:02 PM
oct1949
Club Member

I've read several have had this,,, do a seach and follow up some post and threads to find if anyone got the answer..

I never had this issue... 1st 1k and before stg1, SERT, and Dyno it would turn over 2-3 times after she got really hot, like if I stopped for gas.
But after the work was done haven't had it since..

Old 07-11-2009 | 12:58 AM
Steve_In_29
Intermediate

Mine just did this on me today for the first time so I am interested in what you find out as well.

Old 07-11-2009 | 07:59 AM
Stcbob
|
3rd Gear

Thanks for the interest folks. I'll do some more searching on this and let you know what I find out. It is bone stock (except for the bling the PO put on it) Like I say, I have an extended warranty on it, but the dealer I got it from (the only ones in the area I would really trust) is 80 miles away so I really have to have a good reason to go there. I am planning on getting new pipes and a backing plate and getting it remapped. That might straighten it out. I'll keep you posted.

Old 07-11-2009 | 08:04 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member

I have the same issue.

My solution: I slightly open the throttle when I crank it and it fires up.

Old 07-11-2009 | 08:45 AM
rbabos
Banned

Originally Posted by Stcbob
Hi,
I'm a new owner of an 07 Softail custom. Here's the problem. I start it in the morning, ride about 1.5 miles and stop to get a paper on my way to work. When I try to restart the bike, it often turns over 6 or 7 times before firing up. Any idea what the problem could be? I have an extended warranty so I'm not to concerned, but I don't want to get stranded either. Thanks for any insight you can offer.
I used to have that problem with the stock ecm. Best I could come up with is some kind of iac setting quirk. Learned that if it won't fire up within 2 revolutions stop and rehit the start button and it fires right up. Second thing is to give it slight throttle and it will start as well. You could try giving the iac plunger a bath in tb cleaner and see if it frees it up. General symptoms I had were, short ride to get gas or whatever, try to start and it would crank over and over with belching in the exhaust or backfiring. This is caused from not enough air entering the tb to set the idle speed. The iac does that. If it will start with slight throttle application, this will confirm this fault. Even going to tmax I had a couple of instances of this, but since cleaning the iac it has never occured all season.
Ron

Old 07-11-2009 | 11:01 AM
softail04
Road Master

sound like a fi problem
go back to a carb problem solved

Old 07-11-2009 | 11:30 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

Check that your battery and ground cable to the frame are clean and tight.
Tom

Old 07-13-2009 | 07:12 AM
B.Fighter43
Advanced

I agree with Chazmanian first check the battery,My 01 springer did the same thing and i was told that after the first start the battrey was just getting weak and the volts was just not there for the injectors to fire after the bike got warm needed a little more volts.
I even kept mine bike on a tender all the time but the battrey was over five years old.
New battrey and no further problems.

Quick Reply: Hard restarting