Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heartland mixed feelings!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:47 AM
ScReaMnEagLE22
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Heartland mixed feelings!!

OK guys, seems I've come to some what of a bind with my Heartland EZ 200 kit and I'm not sure which way to go here.

Heres a little history so it makes some sense. A few weeks ago I picked up a tank from a local shop that had the weld going down the middle cleaned up. It had never occurred to me to fit the tank, fender, and seat altogether. (DUH!!!) Well i think you can already see where this is going.

When I put the tank on, everything seemed perfect. (so far so good) I then put the seat in place and surprisingly the Heartland seat had the same shape as my tank did. (After looking closely this is when I realized that the tank I picked up not only had the seem/weld been cleaned up but the tank had been stretched and shaped/customized to a seat. At this point I was like wow this is great, but then I noticed the seat wasn't sitting all the way in its place.

At this point I didnt have the rear fender in place but I could still see the seat wasnt fitting.
I am thinking of what my options are and here is what ive come up with. I could leave the custom tank and either reshape the seat that comes with the Heartland kit or have a new seat made.
This is part of what is making me undecided. Having a custom seat made, kinda sucks after all the $$$ spent on the Heartland kit.

Aside from this, Ive been debating wether to use the Heartland rock guard that comes in the kit as I'm not sure if I like the way it looks on the bike. (It tends to wrap around the tire a bit) Instead I am considering the HD stainless steel rock guard in black. If this is the case thats one more piece from HL Kit not being used...
I'm considering selling the Heartland kit and look into something similar, Perhaps the RSD ..

Old 07-10-2009, 02:26 AM
Frisian HD
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the looks of Heartland ......RSD's fenderstruts are bone ugly

Old 07-10-2009, 04:54 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would think the seat is the better way out of this, depends on how the tank was streched too. For me the seat is easier than anything else. I like the heartland look. I think you may still have a problem no matter which kit you use

Old 07-10-2009, 05:36 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

change the seat. easiest way out of the jam

Old 07-10-2009, 06:45 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,310 Likes on 2,561 Posts

Harley makes a seat for their stretched tank you might want to try..I ran into the same problem with the Sportster I just built and ended up making my own seat pan and having a local upholstery shop cover it.Heartland is popping up every where.I didn't much care for the wide tire ride from the first time I rode one and still don't but they look cool as hell. G.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Rail
Road Master

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Danny Gray makes the seats for Heartland (or at least most of them).. Contact them and tell them the situation... The problem is you bought a customized frenched tank that was stretched and now parts that were designed for stock applications won't bolt up.. Welcome to the custom world.. You've got 2 choices; sell the tank and go back to your stock tank or send your set to DG along with dimensions and have them start working on it..

As for the HL rock guards, if you don't like them wrapping the tire then tape em and cut em before paint and prime.. No sense tossing and buying something else..

Good luck

Old 07-10-2009, 08:26 AM
ScReaMnEagLE22
Road Master

why do you say I might still have a problem??

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
I would think the seat is the better way out of this, depends on how the tank was streched too. For me the seat is easier than anything else. I like the heartland look. I think you may still have a problem no matter which kit you use

Old 07-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Rail
Road Master

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ScReaMnEagLE22
why do you say I might still have a problem??
Because PM, Phatail, HL and all the others are made as bolt on replacement parts fitting them to stock assemblies.. Your custom tank just changed all the dimensions.. You need to measure the stock tank from the front mounts to the rear mount and then measure the new tank then measure from the rear mount othe frenched section where the seat fits in.. Compare this to your stock tank... If they're the same then I'd mock up the rear fender and check fitment.. If they're different then you need to make some choices..

Last edited by Rail; 07-10-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:10 AM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think you need to put the rear fender on then put the seat on, it looks like you got er too far pushed forward.............as far as rsd i was looking at both and i need a place for the wife, and HL has the best clip in acc. for a passenger

Old 07-10-2009, 09:19 AM
mt325
Tourer

Reshaping the seat will be the best and most cost effective approach. My feeling are don't go with RSD or PM. I had a horrible 3 month ordeal with wheels and paid for all the shipping, plus you have to buy a new seat with there set upand they only offer to types. Heartland has awesome customer services and could easily guide you to reshape the seat. Tank looks great btw.

Quick Reply: Heartland mixed feelings!!