Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FatBoy vs. Road King

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:02 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

20k + in 27months, and wife and I seldom leave county.. longest trip was around 200 total, mostly 50-100 mikes when we go out. So don't really want a touring bike.
I don't like the feel of RK (SEAT) putting around like we do 90% of the time, feels like sitting on, not in her.. also dont like the bars, but thats not hard to change out.
If we done more long trips probably or might look at one cause they do ride a little better..

But after putting on the touring rear pillion and back rest pad for her, she's happy.

This is just a little imput for U but U have to figure out which ones for U

Old 07-10-2009, 05:18 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i went thru the same with my sportster. i wanted something i controlled and after the demo ride on fatboy vers roadking i got the fatboy. great around town bike and also took on 1500 mile trips with bags attached. i have 38,000 in 2 years. 10,000 chapter rides last year

Attached Thumbnails FatBoy vs. Road King-dsc08950c.jpg  
Old 07-16-2009, 12:04 PM
hogbutt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heritage vs rkc

What a tough decision. I understand everyone saying "you have to ride it to see what fits" well, thats the problem. Being height challenged (30" inseam) you can't just go into any hd shop and jump on a bike.
So thats where I'm at. The Heritage fits well (stock) and the RKC is a tad bit tall. How do I know that w/ some lowering and different seat the RKC wouldn't be a better fit? decisions decisions. I'm really torn.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:48 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

I'm only 5'4" and went with the Deluxe. It comes about 1" lower than the Heritage. Got it used with everything you see for way less than new. Best part is that I can flat foot this one. Couldn't quite do that on the Heritage. As for the RK...I couldn't even get my legs all the around it!

Old 07-16-2009, 03:07 PM
nextorion
Cruiser
Default Fatboy vs RK

I had both a tourer (EGC) and a Fatboy for the past 3 years. The EGC was my luxury tourer and the FB the stripped BA "bar hopper". Favored the EGC generally as the seat/set-up on the FB was designed for appearances. The EGC was sold in preparation for an new tourer in the spring. I bought a new seat, put the windshield back on, repositioned the bars and put highway pegs on the FB in an attempt to make the ride more comfortable in the mean time. Just completed a 9 hour ride with the FB this past weekend. Lost the BA look, but as far a comfort, I may be rethinking the purchase of another bike.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

For my first bike, I whined, begged and pleaded with my wife for 10 years to let my buy a Fatboy.

Finally, she grew tired of me and relented...and I went out and bought a ROAD KING CLASSIC!

Go figure?!

BUT, I couldn't be happier. I'll always have a visual love affair with the Fatboy but I just can't say enough about the Road King. Incredible bike!

Old 07-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Yosemite
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Well Doc, as you can see by my links, I do both on the Fatboy.

I can tell you that the more I do toward touring the FB, the more I consider buying a SG or EGC. That said, I have sat on both and have had problems reaching controls or getting my feet on the ground (I'm 5'6"); have not test ridden either.

Here's some realities about touring a late model FB. You're going to have to change the exhaust to a low one to be able to mount any kind of bag that holds stuff. I have the shotgun exhaust still and am limited to the factory bags that are barely big enough to hold a 12-pack. I have both the batwing and a windshield and almost never mount the windshield due to liking the bw better; it certainly cuts more air but has it's own problems, namely a re-direction of airflow below the tanks and up your chest; you'll need fairing lowers to cut that out or a hiway bar with covers.

I still have the stock 07' seat on my bike and love it for the looks. That said, during a recent 2500 mile ride I did get the the point after about 350 miles of needing to stop every 40-50 miles due to butt burn on the tailbone. Personally, I'm considering having the seat repadded with gel and more foam to fix that problem and keep the looks, but for two up riding I am definitely looking at a new seat. For touring it 2 up, I would look at a one piece seat that was very cushy, wide, have a driver backrest, and be narrow a the thigh area.

A trunk on the back is an almost necessity on any overnight ride because any softail saddlebags aren't going to be big enough to carry clothes, tools, rainsuit and still have space to add **** along the way. A nice bennie from that is it gives the other person a larger perch to rest against. That said, if you like the RKC because of the classic looks, it would be cool to add those bags and a matching leather trunk... and even a leather cover on the batwing. As a side note, the leather bags etc. will probably look better on a darker color bike.

Anyway, I can add a lot more but not sure what you're thinking. PM me and ask...

Good luck!