Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Fat Boy...the frustration continues...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009 | 11:08 AM
heavypic
|
Tourer
Default 04 Fat Boy...the frustration continues...

Hey Gang,

I have an update on my primary/stator job for my 04 Fat Boy. I replaced the stator and reinstalled the drive chain, compensator, and clutch. Unfortunately, that was not my problem. I still get the metal grinding noise coming from the 'area' of the primary and "bus err" codes that I got before starting this job. The only finding in the primary during the job was a loose compensator nut (it was just below 100 ft/lbs).

I'm wondering if my problem isn't the cam shoe tension/wearing issue I've read about with the TC88's. I have 18K miles now. I've read here that some are wearing out below 20K. I have the 95 CI kit and 251 mid-range cam. That cam has a lot of lift. Could my cam have put additional stress on the cam/valve train system, causing premature wear?

The grinding noise is getting worse. It starts about 1-2 minutes into warm-up and is fairly constant. Haven't ridden my bike in a year. My dealer had it for a week last year and didn't fix it.

Could it be the oil pump? A bearing? Crankshaft bearing?

I know it's tough to diagnose over the forum, but what do you'all think? Cam/valve train issue or worse (some bearing low in the motor?). I dread the latter, and a major engine job...especially at 18K miles.

So I'd like to hear from people with '04 TC88's or similar with 18K or more miles. Are any of you experiencing similar problems with your bikes? Is it me or does it seem like it's mostly guys with newer bikes (and no real problems yet) that account for most of the activity on this forum?

I'm frustrated and my bikes done at 18K miles. I called the moco...no insights there and no recalls...just recommendations to other 'dealers'. I'm reluctant to take it to another HD "dealer" given my dealer's track record.

You guys recommended some indy's in my area. Guess this is the best option for now. I will need an independant to document the issues in case this turns out to be a major motor overhaul...I shouldn't have to pay for that at 18K, warrranty notwithstanding!! Have any of you had to lawyer-up to the moco for major issues on low-mileage bikes?? I'm hoping it doesn't lead to this...

I would appreciate anyone's feedback...on the potential problem or for recommendations to proceed with diagnosis by an indy mechanic....and then action against the moco by a lawyer if needed ...whatever....).

Thanks all...
Regards

Old 07-08-2009 | 11:19 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

Pull the exhaust and cam cover and have a look. Sometimes it is difficult to isolate exactly where a noise is coming from from, but the cam tensioners sound like your best bet to me.