Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Folding trailers -- safe to haul the HD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:54 AM
SalsaNChips
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Folding trailers -- safe to haul the HD?

I need to get a trailer to occasionally haul my '02 Softail Standard. Also for the riding mower, misc. lawn equipment, and other stuff which is too much hassle to load in the bed of my truck.

I want a fold down rear ramp and all metal construction. The trailer may sit for extended periods unused and I want something durable (no wood flooring).

My price point for this is around $1K. Looking on Craig's list, I see a lot of used utility trailers in the 4X8 and 5X8 range that might work.

In my searching, I came across lightweight folding trailers. Interesting design. I like the idea of being able to fold the trailer up and stick it in the corner of my garage, out of the weather (or, in my backyard against the side of the house).

For a little more than it would cost me to get a used, standard trailer off CL, I could buy a new folding trailer online, with a warranty. Checking out this model on redtrailers.com for around $1200.00 shipped (with optional spare tire and mount):

My question is -- how stable are these things when hauling a 700 pound motorcycle? Any one have experience with them? I may use this for trips up to 300 miles each way so I want something stable enough to tow with confidence.

Not against the idea of getting a traditional, non-folding trailer, just like the convenience of the folding design if it'll work for my intended purpose.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:50 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

kinda depends on the weight capacity of the trailer. before you get any trailer - make sure your bike will fit. my Fat Boy is 94.3 inches long. you wouldn't want the ramp banging into the fender. 12" tires aren't the best for long hauls - but, 300 miles or so - they should be alright. as with any trailer, proper maintenance is key - tire pressure and packed wheel bearings will make it last a lot longer.

good luck with whatever decision you make.