Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Fender kits and Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:02 AM
dkyork
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Fender kits and Brake Light

Anyone have any issues with state laws requiring a brake light? I live in Va and wonder if it will be a problem. Do you turn your back signals into brake lights to satisfy the law? The rear tire kits look great, but all the pics I see don't have a brake light on the fender.

thanks!

Dale

Last edited by dkyork; 07-06-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought all states required you to have brake lights? You dont need to have the running lights/brake lights on the fender themselves, however in some cases the turnsignals are the running light, brake lights and turnsignals all wrapped up in one light.. Case in point the Rockers... I think that is what you are asking?

Old 07-06-2009, 12:32 AM
dkyork
Tourer

Originally Posted by Joe What
I thought all states required you to have brake lights? You dont need to have the running lights/brake lights on the fender themselves, however in some cases the turnsignals are the running light, brake lights and turnsignals all wrapped up in one light.. Case in point the Rockers... I think that is what you are asking?
Thanks! I didn't know it was possible to fit all 3 in the signals. I wonder if those mini bullet signals can do it all, maybe with LEDs? I'll have to research that a bit and also take a look at the side mount plates. hopefully the police don't have problems with those here. I'd honestly like to keep those fenders clean with nothing on them like most people do.

Dale

Old 07-06-2009, 07:16 AM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You just have to buy the module from harley or anothe aftermarket source. They are just plug and play. What fender kit you going with.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:36 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you will have to check your states laws to see what they require. like mine requires the inspection tag 20 in or less to the tag but harley enforced unless your an ***. you can get tag brackets that have stop lamps but they still need to light the plate. I built my tail lamp. i saw a new one in drag specialties that gets rid of the 3 holes on the stock gender and uses led tail and turn lamps and lay down plate all in one. but it was over $300. mine cost me under $40

Attached Thumbnails Rear Fender kits and Brake Light-img_9039cr.jpg  
Old 07-06-2009, 09:24 AM
dkyork
Tourer

Originally Posted by chrome-dome-dave
You just have to buy the module from harley or anothe aftermarket source. They are just plug and play. What fender kit you going with.
I'm not sure yet honestly, I just started looking. I've looked at PM, HL, RSD fender and struts, custom valley, and some others. I'm wondering if I can just get the fender and struts, keep my 200 rear, and still have that nice custom look fat tire rear.

If not, I'd like to go to 240 at the most, so I guess it would be a phattail or another 240 kit. I really don't want to go too big and trash my handling completely. I'm going to research this for a while and then research it some more to make sure I make the right moves. I plan on doing the work myself, so I'll save on that part of it, except painting the fender.

Dale

Old 07-06-2009, 09:48 AM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Im trying to sell my heartland rear fender and chrome struts if interested, just let me know

Old 07-06-2009, 09:54 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,372 Likes on 2,574 Posts

Originally Posted by dkyork
Thanks! I didn't know it was possible to fit all 3 in the signals. I wonder if those mini bullet signals can do it all, maybe with LEDs? I'll have to research that a bit and also take a look at the side mount plates. hopefully the police don't have problems with those here. I'd honestly like to keep those fenders clean with nothing on them like most people do.

Dale
Check out Story808 on the Night Train pic thread.He has done what your asking about.G.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:59 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

The AMA site list state lawas by state. http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...t.asp?state=va