Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96B vs 96???

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 08:43 AM
jb1023
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 96B vs 96???

To those of you who have been around for awhile this is probably going to sound like a really stupid question but here it is anyway. I know that the "B" in the engine description is for balanced but what exactly does that mean? The 3 models of bike that I am looking at are the FXDC, FXSTC and FXSTB, obviously the FXDC does not have a "B" engine but what does that mean? Is the bike going to have more vibration or not run as efficient? Thanks.

P.S. I will be posting this in the Dyna forum also just to make sure both sides are heard.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:53 AM
DoubleU
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"B" engines are in the softail line, the 96 "non-B" is in the Dyna line. The "B" engine/bike won't vibrate as much.

W

Old 07-04-2009, 08:55 AM
deadhead111469
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a non-"B" motor will have more vibration at an idle but will be just as efficient as a "B" motor

Old 07-04-2009, 10:44 AM
niczumbo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

softails got the b motor,whereas dynas and baggers have the non b motor.the motor and bike have more shake in the non b motor but supposedly they have a bit more speed than the b motor due to the balancer.thats what i have been told,,,,, do i buy it? well hell who cares,ride both styles if possible and decide after that

Old 07-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any bike in the Softail line is gonna have the "B" designated motor. The "B" motors are hard or ridgid mounted to the frame, have the oil tank mounted under the seat and as the motor runs it also turns a counter balancing piece which in turn smooths the inherent tendancy of the v-tiwn motor to jump around in the mounts.

The Dyna and Touring bikes get the motor rubber mounted or not rigid and have the oil tank in a different place along with no counter balancer. The motor is free to hop around and absorb the lack of a mechanical balancing device. Due to not having to drive a mechanical balancing device the unbalanced or non "B" motors typically make an Horse or two along with an extra pound or two of TQ.

So in a Nutshell, Softails get the counter balanced rigid mounted "B" motors, Touring models and Dyna's get the non balanced rubber mounted motors.

Softail model designators are gonna be FXS, FLS, Followed by T's, B's, I's, C's, S',E's and if your really lucky the D's!!! (Sorry Duece guys).

Touring bikes are gonna be FL's followed by T's, H's, U's, R's, I's, S's and E's.

Dynas are FX's followed by D's, R's, T's, W's, G's, S's, B's, L's.

Harley makes this coding weird yet fairly simple. For example a Softail standard would be an FXST then a Night Train which is essentially the same bike as the standard with black wrinkle motor components and drag bars would be a FXSTB. "B" in the model line means Black.

FXSTBI Night Train, Injected. So the I is for injected.

FXSTC would be a softail custom so its the FXST with the C for custom meaning chrome!!

FXDWG FXD is a Dyna and the WG is for Wide Gilde. So thats a dyna with the wide glide fork.

FXDL would be a Dyna Lowrider.

FLH's are touring bikes so FLHR Is a road king. FLTR is a road glide.

Adding a P to any of the above? Makes it a Police model.

Now I have a melon ache.

Dynas are Cool, Touring is fun but in day to day riding IMO Softails rule!

Cause I have one...If I had a Road King....It would probably rule too.

I'm going riding...Peace out!

Edit: In the time it took to get my Dickies on and my hi-top Converse all stars laced up....
It statrts pounding rain. Fvck me runnin'. Stuck with you freaks til' it subsides!

Last edited by Chazmanian; 07-04-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:23 PM
cosshog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having a Softail 95B motor and a Roadglide 96 motor I can tell you that at idol the B motor is very smooth very little shake from the bike ie:handlebars, as compared to the rubber mounted motor which shakes at rest. While in motion there is a slight vibration in the mirrors of the B motor where as the rubber mount tends to balance itself out. Neither is better just differant. Try to ride one of each and see what you like.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:50 PM
jb1023
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish my local dealer would have been this helpful, all he said was the "B" was better. You guys rock, thank you so very much.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Carmell RKC
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The main differences are at idle in my opinion. My Road King has some really cool looking hop to it when at a stand still, but as soon as I take off, nice and smooth. In fact I think at identical speeds on the freeway, the King is smoother in terms of any engine induced vibration.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Archer1968
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jb1023
I wish my local dealer would have been this helpful, all he said was the "B" was better. You guys rock, thank you so very much.
Welcome to the Forum, stick around you can learn everything you ever wanted to know and more here.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:00 PM
crush63
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

The 96B motor is very smooth at around time speeds and vibration isn't an issue on the highway until you hit about 75 mph. I had a dyna for a while and as long as you kept the rpm above 2500 the rubber engine mounts worked great. 80+ mph on the dyna was still smooth. For me, the 96B motor works better. The only downside is the B-motor revs slower and makes 3-5 less hp/tq. Under heavy throttle the 96B does try to vibrate your feet off the pegs; much worse then the dyna but that may be partly because the softail doesn't have anti-vibration pegs like the dyna.

2009 Night Train
1997 Buell S1 Lightning

Quick Reply: 96B vs 96???