Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009 | 03:20 PM
etxlady
|
Stage II
Question Oil Change

I need to change the oil on my 05 Heritage Softail 1450cc & can't find a diagram of where the filter is &/or where to drain the old oil or put new oil in it. I am not really sure how much oil to use either. Can someone help me? I also need a diagram on how to clean the K & N Air filter that I have on it. Can someone help me with that also? I would appreciate it very much. I already have 5,000 miles on it since last time it was done when I bought it & I don't really have the money to pay someone else to do it. I'm sure I can do it myself if someone will help me.

Etxlady

Old 07-03-2009 | 03:38 PM
deadhead111469
Tourer

Oil filter is at lower front of the motor, oil fill is under the seat on the right side(sitting on the bike) oil drain is under the bike toward the middle.Holds allmost 4 quarts of oil,be sure to fill the filter about half way. K&N sells a recharge kit for the air cleaner with directions

Last edited by deadhead111469; 07-03-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-03-2009 | 04:38 PM
softail04
Road Master

from the sound of your post I would say
GET A FRIEND THAT HAS DONE IT TO WALK YOU THRU IT
that said the filter as was said is on the front at the bottom of the front down tubes the drain is on the frame rail just about the rear of thre trans and on the bottom find a hose comming from the oil tank if it's a softail and jusst follow it down..
fill is the round plug on the oil bag/tank right hand side under you A##. good luck and really GET A FRIEND...

Old 07-03-2009 | 05:17 PM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master

Buy a 2005 Softtail Service Manual from the dealer. Best investment you can purchase for doing your own maintenance.

For engine, follow the black rubber tube down from the oil tank. The trans plug is between the shocks and the drain plug for the primary is below the derby cover. Good luck.

Old 07-03-2009 | 05:51 PM
1st HD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by softail04
from the sound of your post I would say
GET A FRIEND THAT HAS DONE IT TO WALK YOU THRU IT
that said the filter as was said is on the front at the bottom of the front down tubes the drain is on the frame rail just about the rear of thre trans and on the bottom find a hose comming from the oil tank if it's a softail and jusst follow it down..
fill is the round plug on the oil bag/tank right hand side under you A##. good luck and really GET A FRIEND...
+1, if possible have a friend help you out. Also, my 2 softails hold approximately 3 qts of oil. You will also have to change the primary and maybe even the trans oil depending on what oil you put in the trans.

Old 07-03-2009 | 09:47 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Not meant as an insult, but if U can't even see or find the oil filter, then don't do anything to Ur bike till U get some help or U may really screw something up trying to save money by doing it Ur self. It wouldn't be the first time someone removed the wrong plug or screw.

Congrats on your bike and Welcome to the forum.
Look over the main page, a lot of areas to read & learn.
Questions like (What’s the best ?), or (Having trouble with,?), has been answered 100’s of times.
The search feature will get U a lot of answers, or a Google search.
If you can’t find the answer, Start a thread In the correct Section. and go from there. At least U tried…. From Indy

Last edited by oct1949; 07-03-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2009 | 10:16 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

Exactly
Originally Posted by oct1949
Not meant as an insult, but if U can't even see or find the oil filter, then don't do anything to Ur bike till U get some help or U may really screw something up trying to save money by doing it Ur self. It wouldn't be the first time someone removed the wrong plug or screw.

Old 07-04-2009 | 05:01 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior

Go to you tube ,there is a few videos on oil change for a Harley.Also get manual.

Old 07-04-2009 | 06:00 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

Not sure where you are but if close I would help you learn, I have done this for 3 women I know who ride. It's a good thing to get to know your bike

Old 07-04-2009 | 08:39 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by oct1949
ditto
where do you live? I am sure someone would help.

Quick Reply: Oil Change