Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone diagnose this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 11:28 AM
nm156
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone diagnose this?

I've got an 04 Fat Boy EFI and it's making a weird noise from the left side of the bike. The best way to describe the sound would be for you to imagine the sound of an air compressor running with a hose hooked up to it, cut the end of the hose and hold your thumb over the end to let the air **** out. Sorta like a pifft, pifft, pifft, pifft, pifft, very quickly. Or think of a plastic grocery bag caught up or tied up on the rear passengers left foot peg, and it flapping in the breeze. It's extremely annoying and happens infrequently. At times it's loud enough to get over the top of the exhaust (V&H Big Radius with baffles removed very loud bike!).

Now check this one out, I thought it was an exhaust leak as I noticed the rear cylinder exhaust bolts loosened up frequently. Also, it seemed ever time I tightened em up, the noise would go away. I replaced the gaskets (HD high performance) and put locking nuts on. Still, the sound! It's weird because the sound only happens at speeds at or above 40 mph and when the bike runs at 200 degrees. It would usually only happen at those speeds while I let off the throttle but is now happening during acceleration. I took it in for service and of coarse the tech took it for a ride and chalks it up as exhaust echo. Dude,,, no way! It's a sound that is not in sync with the exhaust. A buddy of mine thought I had a blown head gasket but I would think the sound would be continues regardless what speed / rpm. I would hear a blown head gasket at idle, no? Again, under 40 mph it goes away. Also, I why would I hear it coming from behind me?

Sounds like a blow off that comes from under my *** just behind and to the left of me! And no, I'm not all that gassy!

I'll tell ya, it's annoying enough for me to not want to ride!

I hope someone here can help!

Thanx in advance,

Jeff

Last edited by nm156; 07-03-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:06 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does it sound like a herd of fish spitting water at a piece of glass, but out of sinc?
Check your primary chain tension.
Ron

Old 07-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
Does it sound like a herd of fish spitting water at a piece of glass, but out of sinc?
Check your primary chain tension.
Ron
+1

Old 07-03-2009, 04:36 PM
azharleyrider86401
Cruiser

not sure which models use them but when I shut mine off I get a pfft noise and I was assuming it was compression release.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:40 PM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may seem off the wall, but could it be your belt guard? I know some of them are mounted kind of flimsy and they will vibrate at certain speeds.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:44 PM
nm156
Banned

LOL!!

Belt guard is off and Primary Chain tension is perfect!

Next!

Old 07-03-2009, 05:55 PM
rbabos
Banned

Originally Posted by azharleyrider86401
not sure which models use them but when I shut mine off I get a pfft noise and I was assuming it was compression release.
That ones easy. The pfft sound sometimes accompanied with a squeak is the engine rolling backwards from being on the compression stroke and forcing air into the tb and breather. Still working on the plastic bag attached to the footpeg sound
Ron

Old 07-03-2009, 05:57 PM
rbabos
Banned

Originally Posted by nm156
LOL!!

Belt guard is off and Primary Chain tension is perfect!

Next!
Do you have a plastic fender extension behind the oil tank. Could it be rattling at just the right wind pressure?
Ron

Old 07-03-2009, 06:11 PM
nm156
Banned

I do but the noise doesn't sound much like a rattle at all.

For what it's worth, I was thinking of getting an after market chrome piece so I'll give it a shot.

I'm at a loss for what this noise could be so thanx for any input fellas!

Old 07-03-2009, 09:40 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

Do U ride in bell bottom pants?? In the 70's I wore bell bottoms pants that flapped in the wind, that might be the plastic bag sound Ur getting..

serious note, do U have bags on her.? if so is the lid flapping?.

Also if the HD HP gaskets Ur using are the SE's, then yes, I have heard they have a problem of sealing, and most Wrench's won't use them cause of that.

Quick Reply: Can anyone diagnose this?