Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6000k Bi-xenon HID kit installed on my Rocker

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 12:41 PM
austinharley
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedsnice
The light bulb above will change the color of the headlight but will not produce more light. A true HID set-up will offer a brighter light that will light up the road better.
From what I've read on the PIAA bulb, it does produce a brighter light than the stock headlight. I wouldn't consider anything that just changes the color without adding brightness. To put it another way, is there a bulb replacement that will produce more light without going as far as installing the HID kit?

Old 07-12-2009, 01:35 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

"Really, I guess some car companies can defy physics. Subaru uses the same headlight housing on there 04/05 Impreza's for the WRX STi model that comes with 4300k HID's and the WRX that comes with halogen lamps.
The HID conversion lights up the road better and that's what I wanted. I have used aftermarket and OEM HID kits since 1999, so I have done a fare share of installs on cars, trucks and motorcycles"

There are NO HID conversion kits on the market that are DOT approved, period.
It's impossible for them to produce the proper beam pattern, no matter what you say.
That might be why they're ILLEGAL for street use.
There are HID's that ARE DOT approved but they are a complete system, not a "conversion kit".

Last edited by silvrbill; 07-12-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:56 PM
speedsnice
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by austinharley
From what I've read on the PIAA bulb, it does produce a brighter light than the stock headlight. I wouldn't consider anything that just changes the color without adding brightness. To put it another way, is there a bulb replacement that will produce more light without going as far as installing the HID kit?
I have tried Piaa's over the years and they do not produce more light without more wattage and can end up causing heat problems, they can also cause damage to wiring harness's due to the heat. They produce a different color light not a brighter light. I have even tried the Piaa's that are not released in the american market and its the same ($90 wasted on bulbs that just change the color of the beam).

Old 07-15-2009, 11:32 AM
ks-waterbug
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedsnice
Really, I guess some car companies can defy physics. Subaru uses the same headlight housing on there 04/05 Impreza's for the WRX STi model that comes with 4300k HID's and the WRX that comes with halogen lamps.
The HID conversion lights up the road better and that's what I wanted. I have used aftermarket and OEM HID kits since 1999, so I have done a fare share of installs on cars, trucks and motorcycles.

If you don't want to install a kit on your bike that's your problem, stick to your dim yellow lights.
+1.....