Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another tank removal question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Curious.Yogurt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question another tank removal question...

I swear this is not going to be another "how do I do that?" thread!! But...

I need to get to the connectors for the front signal lights that are under the tank. I read through various threads about tank removal and I guess I can get by with just unscrewing the bolts and sliding the tank back a little, and don't have to drain the fuel. But where exactly is this overly fragile and costly fuel line that likes to snap during things like these? I already consulted the manual, but I couldn't really find it in there. Does anyone have any pictures of where it is maybe?

Thanks for any help!

Oh yeah, this is on a 2006 FLST

Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 PM
LH
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front bottom of the tank. If you're not looking for it you can easily overlook it. It connects left and right sides of the tank.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:26 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LH
Front bottom of the tank. If you're not looking for it you can easily overlook it. It connects left and right sides of the tank.

I don't think he was asking about the fuel crossover line as you describe. The fuel line you are talking about is in the rear left side next to your horn. Very easy to disconect.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
I don't think he was asking about the fuel crossover line as you describe. The fuel line you are talking about is in the rear left side next to your horn. Very easy to disconect.
and very easy to snap if you forget to disconnect.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Run the bike low on fuel...

Pull the fuel pump fuse under the seat. Start the bike. After it dies run the starter for a few seconds.

Disconnect yer' negative battery cable.

Now there is a quick disconnect line under the tank back left corner. Push up on the fitting. It will pop right out.

Now front of tank. You will see a line that connects both sides of the tank.

Place a thick rag or towell on the rocker cover under the crossover line.

This part takes a clear head and quick reaction.

Get a piece of at least 3/4" inner diameter tubing. have one end in a gas can and the other end ready to place over the crossover line.

Remove the crossover line on one side and as you do place yer' thumb over the nipple on the tank and direct the now gushing fuel line into the tube which goes to the can.

Hold this position until the tank is drained.

Once drained leave big rag or towell under the nipple and the hose to catch any potential fuel oozing action.

Remove long bolt under tank.

Remove your console and disconnect the connectors underneath.

Your tank will now come off this job will take you all of 10 minutes.

Simple and easy. No reason to take ghetto shortcuts around wiring issues. Do it right and git er done!!

Old 06-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Curious.Yogurt
Novice

Thanks!!

Chazmanian: that sounds a lot easier than in the manual. I'll do that and be on the safe side!

Old 06-29-2009, 11:54 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Personally, I would remove the front and rear bolts, remove the fuel line from the left rear with the quick disconnect and slide the tank back as far as I could paying attention to not break the crossover line that connects the two sides together in the front. You should be able to access the signal connectors without complete removal.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:00 AM
lanceo70
Tourer

I always disconnect the fuel line first before doing anything else. Because if you get in a hurry...like some people I know....not saying who...you might forget, and start moving the tank around, and the next thing your doing is calling your dealer for $55 part.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:25 AM
das56170
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish I had read this thread a couple of days ago. I had to take my tank off to get to the wiring underneath. End result: no broken parts...but spilt plenty of gas. Live and learn I guess...

Here's a dumb question: What is the point of the cross over line at the front of the tank? Does it just go from one side of tank to the other?

Old 06-30-2009, 02:06 AM
PhantomMaxx
Tourer

I couldn't get to the plug without removing the tank. The plug is just above the front rocker. remember to mark, diagram, or photograph the location of the wires before taking them apart.

Quick Reply: another tank removal question...