Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another tank removal question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 07:50 AM
wheely
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to remove my tank too.......scoot'n it back wasn't enough.

You can also get an extension for the the wires. That way you don't have to remove your tank everytime you switch bars. It puts the plug out by the headlight. Or sometimes by the frame neck. Mine tucks in neatly behind my chrome neck cover. Well worth the cost in my opinion.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:02 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wheely
I had to remove my tank too.......scoot'n it back wasn't enough.

You can also get an extension for the the wires. That way you don't have to remove your tank everytime you switch bars. It puts the plug out by the headlight. Or sometimes by the frame neck. Mine tucks in neatly behind my chrome neck cover. Well worth the cost in my opinion.
Thats a "Golden Mod"!!

Personally, I would remove the front and rear bolts, remove the fuel line from the left rear with the quick disconnect and slide the tank back as far as I could paying attention to not break the crossover line that connects the two sides together in the front. You should be able to access the signal connectors without complete removal.
I dunno how you guys do that...My connectors are 5"-6" deep back there. Plus the chances for scratching that tank start rising when I try to shortcut stuff! Maybe my bike has the connectors in a different spot than some of Y'alls?

Thanks!!
Chazmanian: that sounds a lot easier than in the manual. I'll do that and be on the safe side!
Its so easy there really isnt a good reason not to just pull it and dick around under there whilst its off.

The one issue that you will have the very first time you remove it is when you pull that crossover line. If you can run your bike down to the low fuel light before pulling the tank? That would be best. I walked a buddy through pulling his tank and he was all good til he pulled the crossover line and clammed up spilling gas all over his motor and the garage before getting his thumb over the nipple and the line into the can.

Remember prior to pulling the crossover line...have thumb ready to cover that nipple and the other line ready to be stuck into a another piece of hose routed into a gas can.

Good time to get yer' Old Lady, Nieghbor or buddy as a third hand is nice when pulling that line especially if you hate the smell of gas in your garage!

Trust me...I have smelled the gas. First time I pulled mine was with a full tank of fuel in the winter. My fvckin' thumb got numb holding it on that nipple and without even realizing it fuel started shooting out of that bastard.

That was the school of tank removal hard knocks. A full tank takes a bit to drain and makes for a "Numb Thumb" in the dead of winter in an unheated garage!

Last edited by Chazmanian; 06-30-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:57 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,392 Likes on 2,581 Posts

Trust me...I have smelled the gas. First time I pulled mine was with a full tank of fuel in the winter. My fvckin' thumb got numb holding it on that nipple and without even realizing it fuel started shooting out of that bastard.

That's some funny chit Chaz.Somehow I see ya standing there freezin your azz off.G.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:06 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
Run the bike low on fuel...

Pull the fuel pump fuse under the seat. Start the bike. After it dies run the starter for a few seconds.

Disconnect yer' negative battery cable.

Now there is a quick disconnect line under the tank back left corner. Push up on the fitting. It will pop right out.

Now front of tank. You will see a line that connects both sides of the tank.

Place a thick rag or towell on the rocker cover under the crossover line.

This part takes a clear head and quick reaction.

Get a piece of at least 3/4" inner diameter tubing. have one end in a gas can and the other end ready to place over the crossover line.

Remove the crossover line on one side and as you do place yer' thumb over the nipple on the tank and direct the now gushing fuel line into the tube which goes to the can.

Hold this position until the tank is drained.

Once drained leave big rag or towell under the nipple and the hose to catch any potential fuel oozing action.

Remove long bolt under tank.

Remove your console and disconnect the connectors underneath.

Your tank will now come off this job will take you all of 10 minutes.

Simple and easy. No reason to take ghetto shortcuts around wiring issues. Do it right and git er done!!
ditto, do it right the first time. it will save you the $45 i had to spend.